Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Country
    See seanandlaruescollectibles's Items on eBay

" No Safeway did everything wrong they have no signs or anything posted in the stores that state groceries must be paid for before you consume or eat them "

Does your card shop have a sign that says packs must be paid for before opening, if not I guess you can rip open what you want and pick and choose right or allow your kids to rip open toys and play with them before buying that must be ok because there is never a sign saying its wrong!!!! See I can say silly things too that make nonsense. Of course you have to pay for groceries before you eeat them, every normal American knows that, it goes back to the rules apply to everyone but you concept, your just peeved because your family had too have done it which you will not admit as being wrong.

First off don't ever talk about my family you know nothing about my family and find it very rude for you to even mention my family, second off I don't care if you are a mod or whatever you want to call yourself on this trading site it doesn't give you the power to talk about anyones family! But for your information yes I have let my daughter open something and eat it and hey guess what we also paid for the items, I am not saying that they didn't do what they did I am saying that Safeway was very unprofessinal in the way they handled the situation and I think they humiliated this family when it could of been settled with letting them pay for the item.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

First off don't ever talk about my family you know nothing about my family and find it very rude for you to even mention my family, second off I don't care if you are a mod or whatever you want to call yourself on this trading site it doesn't give you the power to talk about anyones family! But for your information yes I have let my daughter open something and eat it and hey guess what we also paid for the items, I am not saying that they didn't do what they did I am saying that Safeway was very unprofessinal in the way they handled the situation and I think they humiliated this family when it could of been settled with letting them pay for the item.

Don't bring up what you do not want questioned on this site then, we all know whatever anyone says is going to be criticized esp when its something of a negative light so please do not blow up on me your orig mentioned it.

Country

I understand where you are coming from but I have to disagree. Stores do not have to put up a sign saying "Pay Before You Eat" to keep people from doing it. Do stores also needs signs that say "Do Not Load The Guns And Shoot Them" in the sporting good section? Or a sign in lawn and garden that says "Do Not Drive the Lawnmowers Around The Store"? At some point in time people need to be intelligent about things. Just because there isn't a sign saying "Don't Do It" doesn't make it OK to do it.

Most grocery stores have no issue with people who graze while shopping but all grocery stores have an issue with people not paying for the food. WalMart actually trains people to watch for customers eating out of packages and to call management if they see it, but they rarely do.

Did Safeway overreact? Absolutely. Were they wrong to treat the people as shoplifters? No. By definition they did shoplift.

Does the family deserve an apology? Mmmm...maybe for the overreaction but not for the accusation of shoplifting. Do the people who were arrested owe one? Yes. This whole thing started because of their actions. Blaming Safeway because these people ate food and didn't pay for it is misguided. Safeway handled it the way most retailers would except most retailers would have realized it was an honest mistake and let them pay for the sandwiches and closed the issue.

Safeway is guilty of overreacting and mishandling the situation, but that is it.

They made a simple mistake and forgot, is that a crime these days? So if I go to a store and am shopping with MY FAMILY and my daughter is thirsty and we grab a bottle of water and accidently forget to pay for said item and they stop us and say hey you forgot to pay for that does that mean it can't be a simple mistake and just paid for? Or do they arrest us for shop lifting take our daughter from us and put her in state custody? And no they don't need signs but they should have used a more professional and common sense way of handling such a simple mistake

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Maybe the supermarkets where I live which is in Mississippi have a different mindset,as I know of alot of people who are allowed to eat an item or drink a soda in the store before paying for it,I would venture to say alot more people have done this than you would think.The only mistake the couple made was forgetting to pay for the item,on the other hand I could list several things safeway did wrong as far as upkeeping an image as a friendly shopping place,not to mention suppose something happened to the couple's child in the 18 hours they were seperated,then what.

Country

Don't bring up what you do not want questioned on this site then, we all know whatever anyone says is going to be criticized esp when its something of a negative light so please do not blow up on me your orig mentioned it.

No you need to know that I don't care if you are a mod or dispute team member, that does not give you the right to talk about anyones family. So if you have a problem with that then you shouldn't respond to my post

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

ok, i worked at a retail store for 5 years and often helped out with the asset protection employees. technically what the people did was shoplift. However, what was missing here was some common sense. It is pretty easy to tell if someone was trying to steal or if they made a mistake. Even if safeway wanted to stick to the letter of the law, this should have been an issue of issuing them a citation and letting them leave.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

Ignorance of laws and rules are no excuses to do what you want to do, if you do you pay the consequences and accept them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Ignorance of laws and rules are no excuses to do what you want to do, if you do you pay the consequences and accept them.

Accidentally forgetting to pay for something wouldn't qualify as an ignorance of the law or rules,Would you have done the same thing the Safeway employees did if you worked there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

just a hypothetical. if you were rushing an injured person to the hospital and went over the speed limit, would you try and explain the situation to a cop who pulled you over or would you just say "you're right, i broke the rules and i need to accept the consequences."

i get your point but your logic is part of the problem with the world today. No one stops and uses common sense, they just abide by the letter of the law and say they are only doing their job.

I am not even saying they were wrong for citing the people for theft. I think it is stupid but not wrong. however, to take them to jail for it and take their kid into state custody is wrong, even if the law says it is right.

Country

just a hypothetical. If you were rushing an injured person to the hospital and went over the speed limit, would you try and explain the situation to a cop who pulled you over or would you just say "you're right, i broke the rules and i need to accept the consequences."

i get your point but your logic is part of the problem with the world today. No one stops and uses common sense, they just abide by the letter of the law and say they are only doing their job.

I am not even saying they were wrong for citing the people for theft. I think it is stupid but not wrong. However, to take them to jail for it and take their kid into state custody is wrong, even if the law says it is right.

+1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast