Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (18)
    Country

I've opened 20ish boxes and have not pulled anything great

i broke over that easily in last 3 weeks at a different sites breaks and i get great cards all the time..guess its because i dont break the actual boxes is why my luck has turned around lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hear everyone's explanation. I've never been a huge person to buy singles because I enjoy that rush of what is in the pack. I guess that is why I ski down the mountain like a mad man lol.

However, you are right that people don't post there bad boxes. I do see some people with great collections though which I'm sure is about money and getting luck.

I think it might just be my LCS lol. I have had luck at card shows and ordering online though. Just never get that big pull yet. However, my greatest pull was when I was 14 years old and pulled a Mickey Mantle UD Heroes? autograph card. I got $500 worth of money, trades, and packs. I kinda wish I had that card still, but at 14 years old, $500 sounded GREAT!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can completely relate. I just got back into collecting this year and have had some pretty disappointing breaks. Granted I had one nice big PC hit out of the one box of 2011 Topps Chrome Football I got this year (A Demarco Murray Patch/Auto /25) but other than that there's been nothing to write home about. I enjoy looking for singles to build the collection of guys that I like collect. I will continue to break boxes as money permits b/c I like the excitement of it and also I enjoy putting sets together so at the very least when I bust a box I get a good start on a set. I think the only people who make any return on busting boxes are those who are extremely lucky or have the capital to break a large quantity.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can completely relate. I just got back into collecting this year and have had some pretty disappointing breaks. Granted I had one nice big PC hit out of the one box of 2011 Topps Chrome Football I got this year (A Demarco Murray Patch/Auto /25) but other than that there's been nothing to write home about. I enjoy looking for singles to build the collection of guys that I like collect. I will continue to break boxes as money permits b/c I like the excitement of it and also I enjoy putting sets together so at the very least when I bust a box I get a good start on a set. I think the only people who make any return on busting boxes are those who are extremely lucky or have the capital to break a large quantity.

I just got back in as well. There was a few years that I'd buy a pack here and there, but now I'm able to spend some more. I busted 6 boxes of Topps Chrome football and did pretty good, but looking for that Superfractor or rare auto. I make some decent money back and completed a set, so I can't complain to much.

SCF Rewards
    Country

your not the only one ive never hit a pc card or anything that was hard for me to get rid of...and the only good hits ive ever had have come from blaster boxes...nothing but crap for me from hobby boxes! youre not alone!
    Having been on this site for a few months, I've noticed people with great pulls/collections. I seem to never get that lucky lol. Grant it, I probably don't spend nearly as much as everyone else, but you would figure a card here or there would be good lol. My LCS is the only one close in my area and I swear I never get that lucky there. Even when I do pull a rare card, it's some less known player.

Anyone else this unlucky?

Just looking to chat it up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I suppose a lot depends on what you consider a good hit as well. It seems that to some people anything short of a down payment on a new house is a bad box. To others a decent PC hit or a couple of decent cards to trade for PC is a good box.

What is your criteria for a good box? Is it at least making your money back? Is it making a profit? Is it being able to retire on that one card? Is it adding a few cards to your PC or set you are building regardless of the value? It would seem that those who are more in it for the return will say they are having a worse time of it than a collector. I'm not saying anything bad about that, just that if you are looking to at get your money back on a box you are probably more likely to consider any particular box a disappointment because lets face it, getting your money back is not a likely proposition on most boxes. Likewise, a collector with a wide range of interests will be more likely to consider a box a good box than a collector with a very specific range of interest (like me an my Packers only interest)

I have had to use a great deal of willpower to resist boxes and packs. Like a lot of you, I enjoy the rush of seeing what I might get. When I was busting a lot of wax however I usually felt disappointed afterward and I know that feeling will still be there so I just avoid it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It seems like all my bigger hits have come from loose packs rather than boxes...everything I've ever pulled of higher value hasn't been from my boxes! Those have always been decent, but my big hits come from the packs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've never really ever pulled anything so years ago I finally stopped buying boxes and packs. I now have better stuff for trade than I ever did before. You can buy so much stuff on here that you want for the price of a box or high end pack that it really doesn't make economically sense to bust anymore.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I suppose a lot depends on what you consider a good hit as well. It seems that to some people anything short of a down payment on a new house is a bad box. To others a decent PC hit or a couple of decent cards to trade for PC is a good box.

What is your criteria for a good box? Is it at least making your money back? Is it making a profit? Is it being able to retire on that one card? Is it adding a few cards to your PC or set you are building regardless of the value? It would seem that those who are more in it for the return will say they are having a worse time of it than a collector. I'm not saying anything bad about that, just that if you are looking to at get your money back on a box you are probably more likely to consider any particular box a disappointment because lets face it, getting your money back is not a likely proposition on most boxes. Likewise, a collector with a wide range of interests will be more likely to consider a box a good box than a collector with a very specific range of interest (like me an my Packers only interest)

I have had to use a great deal of willpower to resist boxes and packs. Like a lot of you, I enjoy the rush of seeing what I might get. When I was busting a lot of wax however I usually felt disappointed afterward and I know that feeling will still be there so I just avoid it.

You make some very valid points. When I was young, it was about getting my favorite players in packs. Then as I got older it became let me get that rare card. I think at that time is when the industry change.

I am just starting a PC of a couple of my favorite players. This is something new to me, but always wanted to do it.

I never expect to make enough money out of a box to mortgage my house. It's always nice to make some money back if it's nothing for a PC, but I am realistic in that generally you will lose money. It's a chance with every pack, just like the Powerball. I know this.

Thanks for the discussion.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See holyporcupine's Items on eBay

Over the past few years I haven't pulled anything super noteworthy but i only buy maybe a couple cases a year. I usually pull enough to make my money back so most of the time now I just buy singles unless I get the itch to open something. Glad I did because about a month ago I bought an overpriced box of 99 wcw nitro but pulled this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast