Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

NY to install body scanners on police cars to scan citizens on the street

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...ng-technology/

The NYPD is stepping up their war against illegal guns, with a new tool that could detect weapons on someone as they walk down the street.

But is it violating your right to privacy?

Police, along with the U.S. Department of Defense, are researching new technology in a scanner placed on police vehicles that can detect concealed weapons.

“You could use it at a specific event. You could use it at a shooting-prone location,” NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly told CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez on Tuesday.

It’s called Terahertz Imaging Detection. It measures the energy radiating from a body up to 16 feet away, and can detect anything blocking it, like a gun.

And the idea is causing quite the uproar on both sides of the privacy issue.

“I think it’s good. People will be safer and it will be a safer environment,” Jessica Ramos said.

“If it’s going to make us safer as citizens I’m okay with that,” said Lori Sampson of Lake Ronkonkoma.

“I think it’s all about invading people’s lives more and more and more,” Antonio Gabriel said.

“It’s definitely a privacy issue, but it’s for our safety. So it’s just one of those things, a double-edged sword,” added Clarence Moore of Union, N.J.

Police Commissioner Kelly said the scanner would only be used in reasonably suspicious circumstances and could cut down on the number of stop-and-frisks on the street.

But the New York Civil Liberties Union is raising a red flag.

“It’s worrisome. It implicates privacy, the right to walk down the street without being subjected to a virtual pat-down by the Police Department when you’re doing nothing wrong,” the NYCLU’s Donna Lieberman said.

“We have involved our attorneys as we go forward with this issue. We think it’s a very positive development,” Kelly said.

People on the street have differing opinions on the price they’d be willing to pay for safety.

“There are a lot of cameras already here, so as people walk they’re being filmed. And most of the time they don’t know it,” said Jennifer Bailly of Jersey City.

“If they search you, you’re not giving consent, so they can do what they want, meaning they can use that as an excuse to search you for other means. I don’t think that’s constitutional at all,” Devan Thomas said.

“I don’t agree with it. I have the belief that if you forgo some of your freedom then it’s not freedom at all,” added Erwin Morales of Hoboken.

“I think it’s good. I think if someone has something to hide and they’re going to worry about it, who cares?” Robert McDougall added.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

I like it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I am totally disagree with this. Our founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves right now. If we start letting the state take away some of our freedoms in the name of "safety" where will they stop? SMH.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am totally disagree with this. Our founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves right now. If we start letting the state take away some of our freedoms in the name of "safety" where will they stop? SMH.

I hate when people say that. Do you expect the laws and basic beliefs to stay the same for 350 years? It has never happened in history, and I doubt it will.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hate when people say that. Do you expect the laws and basic beliefs to stay the same for 350 years? It has never happened in history, and I doubt it will.

So let me ask you this. How many of our civil liberties would you be confortable in giving up in the name of "safety"?

SCF Rewards
    Country

So let me ask you this. How many of our civil liberties would you be confortable in giving up in the name of "safety"?

Many

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country

We all have different opinions, that is mine.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New England Patriots Pheonix Suns
    See thepriest21's Items on eBay

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

I disagree with the technology and do believe it breaches my right to privacy.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Do you smell that?? It is the smell of the Constitution and Bill of Rights being used to ignite the fires of a police state and oligarchy.

A few months ago someone said that today they perform illegal searches to get on planes, tomorrow it will be to ride the bus and soon they will just stop you and search you on the street and it will all be in the name of your safety. Who was it that said that??...oh, that's right, it was ME!!!

I love bing right but I hate being right about this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast