Thread: What exactly is a refractor?

What exactly is a refractor?

This might be a dumb question, but I am confused. I recently broke a box of 98-99 Topps Chrome, and 10 packs of 02-03 Topps Chrome (both basketball), and I am hard pressed to tell the difference between a refractor and a regular card. In the 02-03 Chrome, the only way I could tell, was that it said "refractor" in small letters under the card number. Same with the 98-99 set, but the card there looked a little different to me. (I did get an MJ refractor from that box, but that's it...) What am I missing here?

I regular base card has a shiney surface to it with no color. A refractor card has a shiney, colorful surface kind of like what you would see shining a light through a prism.

Thanks, I thought it might have been something like that, but the difference seemed so minute to me. Especially on the newer cards. But, I only saw a regular refractor, and not any of the special ones...

and also if you flip the card on the back of topps cards, you will see under the number it will say refractor or not on them...so you know for sure.

Originally posted by gioperation
    and also if you flip the card on the back of topps cards, you will see under the number it will say refractor or not on them...so you know for sure.
    They do now but they didn't always say that.

I actually took the Jordan refractor and looked at it under bright lights in the kitchen...I see what the deal is now. I guess the way I was looking at them made it tough to tell them apart...

I guess a refractor is like a Sportsflix, but 50,000 times more expensive. :)