Thread: Mantle auto question

Mantle auto question

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a Mickey Mantle autographed ball that's been sitting in storage for years and I just dug it out. I picked it up in person at a charity event in late 1988 or early 1989.

The ball is an American League Bobby Brown, by the way, and the autograph is a little off presumably due to the large number of signings Mantle did that day. It isn't necessarily sloppy, but I've seen much better. I was only about nine at the time I got it, though, and I couldn't really complain.

Since I don't collect baseball (only football cards) anymore and I'm pretty much out of the loop as far as memorabilia is concerned, and I'd rather get this into the hands of someone who would appreciate it, my first question is what is the approximate value of the ball based on what they actually sell for? My second question is would it be worth my time (and money) to have this ball certified, or would it still hold a decent value (for trading or otherwise) without a coa? Is there a market for balls that don't carry a coa, or has everything that isn't PSA/Upper Deck certified been shoved aside?

Thanks for looking this over and giving me your opinion.

2. Kronozio
    pafan-It is very much worth getting the ball certified. GAI does many national shows and authenticates on site at many of them. PSA/DNA is usually just done via mail-in submissions www.psadna.com should get you there. I believe the fee for a Mantle ball is going to be $50-$80 to authenticate, but they'll be able to tell you. As far as having a COA or not, without it, the ball is almost worthless in the marketplace. Even with a COA from a company that isn't known to have done Mantle signings, you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere near top dollar for it. Now, if you have PSA/DNA authenticate and grade it, you could get a substantial amount of $$$ for it.

I don't know where you live but a quick call to either PSA/DNA or GAI should get you the neccessary info on either submitting via mail or in person.

If you can post a scan I'd love to see it.

-Josh

Hopefully this works. I've attached a quick snap (in lower res) of the ball.

Im interested in trading for it if you want to go that way.

Thanks

You may also want to buy a UV-resistant case to prevent it from fading

I'd be interested in taking my chances on it without a COA, in cash or trade. Please drop me an email to canadiantrader@gmail.com

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and pm's.

The only memorabilia I'm interested in anymore is Buffalo Bills, so I would consider a trade for that. Otherwise I'll send the ball off to be authenticated and then I'll move from there.

I'm really not interested in selling, I'd rather use this ball for trading. If I send it off to PSA I'll probably be looking for some cash to offset my costs, though.

If anyone wants more pictures I can supply them (contact me via pm).