Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Questions about God

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

islam makes no sense to christians? again someone speaking for the masses. have you ever studied islam or its teachings?

with that statement i would guess not

habs, you have to believe in free will even if you don't believe in any god, you are free to make your own choices, look how many times you respond to my craziness!!!!???!!!

I believe in free will. Not sure why you think that I don't.

Edit: I see where you are getting that from now. When I said that I was not speaking about my belief. Just playing along with the other poster's assumption of whether or not God has planned everything out for us ahead of time.
    Last edited by habsheaven; 06-15-2012 at 05:05 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

The question was really specific. If we have free will, why?

Not really. What really is free will? A conscious decision. Highly unlikely. All of our decisions are made before they become conscious thought. This is shown in fMRI studies. Plus define free will. Ultimately, we are made of fundamental particles formed in the big bang. Their interactions are restricted by the physical laws of the universe(even if a person does not want to believe in the big bang). Ultimately ,free will is a misnomer.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 06-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Not really. What really is free will? A conscious decision. Highly unlikely. All of our decisions are made before they become conscious thought. This is shown in fMRI studies. Plus define free will. Ultimately, we are made of fundamental particles formed in the big bang. Their interactions are restricted by the physical laws of the universe(even if a person does not want to believe in the big bang). Ultimately ,free will is a misnomer.

If all our decisions are made before they become conscious thought, did we not still make those decisions one way or another?

Personally, I think you're over defining things. Yes everything you've said is true, but it none of it says we don't make our own decisions. At best it says we don't consciously make our own decisions but we still make them. If there is no free will, then you can't be angry at rapists and murderers because you're saying they didn't make the choice, it was made for them.

The fact we're restricted by physical laws of the universe says nothing of whether we make our own decisions or we're just riding on a rollercoaster track that's been laid out for us. Just because I can't fly doesn't mean I don't make my own decisions. It just means my choices are that much more limited.

If you define free will as the ability to do anything you can possibly imagine, then no, none of us has free will. I don't define free will as such. It's too much of an "all-or-nothing" mentality and I don't agree with that.
    Last edited by Wickabee; 06-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

wickabee, great post!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

If all our decisions are made before they become conscious thought, did we not still make those decisions one way or another?

Personally, I think you're over defining things. Yes everything you've said is true, but it none of it says we don't make our own decisions. At best it says we don't consciously make our own decisions but we still make them. If there is no free will, then you can't be angry at rapists and murderers because you're saying they didn't make the choice, it was made for them.

The fact we're restricted by physical laws of the universe says nothing of whether we make our own decisions or we're just riding on a rollercoaster track that's been laid out for us. Just because I can't fly doesn't mean I don't make my own decisions. It just means my choices are that much more limited.

If you define free will as the ability to do anything you can possibly imagine, then no, none of us has free will. I don't define free will as such. It's too much of an "all-or-nothing" mentality and I don't agree with that.

No, I didn't say what type of will I believe will likely become true. If I could make up a term, contra-causal will(It might be a term. I do not remember where I read it).

Your past and present environment (this includes the micro-environment of a person's brain) causes a choice to be made. As for anti-social personalities(criminals in your example), we have no treatment for them at this time and they should be locked up. If you ever see an interview with one of these people, they have low impulse control. They are more regulated by their base emotions, as are all of us(in ever decision). Morays and intellignece tend to inhibit most people's base instincts.

It is slightly scary to think people do not have totally free will. Maybe. I reallydo not know. What happens when their is a fire at a concert? People tend to go into survivor mode and people get killed by the stampede.

As for a roller coaster laid out before us, it could be a possibility. Time might be stactic, dynamic, or made up by our brains to interpet the universe. Physics, neurobiology, and science hasn't proven any point. I'm just glad I'm along for the ride.

Personally, I think most people believe free will means we make all of decisions(maybe I'm wrong). The probably truth is more interesting to me.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 06-25-2012 at 12:12 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

but isn't it better to be able to eat from the garden, than just look at it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234