Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pbtoms's Items on eBay

The decline in the hobby is self-induced. We are doing it to ourselves. There is no outside influence. If you buy a card online for 5%-10% of the BV, then someone along the line has lost money. It's a fact. I completely understand that there maybe never be 100% return in trades, sales, box breaks, etc

There is ENORMOUS outside influence! The decline in value of the cards that you showed is due to an oversaturation of the market. The same thing that happened to base cards in the early '90s is happening now with memorabilia and autograph cards.

There is nothing intrinsically valuable about the cards that you posted. They are worth what people are willing to pay (and what others are willing to sell them for). If you want your investment to retain value, you're probably better off not buying wax in the first place.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

That card isn't a $100 SV card. Assuming you are talking about that quad jersey. But your point is well made, it isn't a $15 card. I typed in countrymen /10 on eBay and I see the Finland /10 went for $60 in a BIN/BO. I see the Quad being around that price. BIN/BO is the only way to drive prices back up. $15 offers are insults.

Understandable. I recently sold a BTP Decades 90's quad jersey gold for $100. I got one message that ticked me off while the auction was still active. The guy literally said "It wont reach $00, i'll give you $70 for it". I meant it wasn't $15 but it was still a low-ball insulting offer for a card.The only other one went for $168 before I put mine up, which is why I listed it at $100. Things like this are the reason why i'd rather trade then collect.
    I collect Matt Dzieduszycki, Derek King, Pierre Turgeon (Isles only), Zigmund Palffy (Isles only) plus specific current Isles (mainly Wahlstrom, Dobson, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock)

All photos/lists can be found here:
    Hidden Content

Please, no more offers for tradebait. I have enough of it as it is.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I absolutely agree. The thing with the hobby today is that there is so much of everything out there that demand on an individual card can be severely negatively affected. To use the example of your Countrymen /10, let's take a look at some fun with numbers:
    Jaroslav Halak has 374 cards #'d /50 or less
    Vladimir Dzurilla has 36 cards #'d /50 or less
    Tomas Vokoun has 766 cards #'d /50 or less
    Dominik Hasek has 1582 cards #'d /50 or less

So is that particular card scarce? Sure. But is there a really big market for any of those four players, and how many people who are in the market for those guys focus on multi-player memorabilia cards? There's a lot of limiting factors with stuff like that. So am I overly surprised that people are offering up $20 for it? Not particularly. Good-looking card? Absolutely. But there's a lot of other good-looking cards of those guys that people also have to track down. It might be a centrepiece card for a Czech/Slovakian collector that likes all four of those goalies, and that person may be willing to pay a premium for it, but unless you can find that guy you're likely only to find people for whom this is "just another low #'d card for the PC."
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Howdy, i dont deal with the bay cause i believe it will help drive the value of my collection downwards, esp. if beckett, which i dont deal with any more also, watches the sales & adjusts the bk values to match the sales. If a card bks $100 & goes for 10-15 then the value will be adjusted downwards also in the book or online price guide, but the buyer claims they are getting a great value now & apparently dont realize they are helping to lower the values cause they got such a great deal NOW
    I also cant see paying $100 a box for ANY sports card boxes & selling the only G/U insert for $5, the only winner there is the card companies who got your $100 & you got a card or 2 for the PC if u were lucky & $5 return, tho not every box is a bust theres more busts than hits
    Its like when i see a post that screams "E-BAY STEAL", i see the buyer helping to drive the value of his own PC downwards but they are happy NOW
    Thanks to the bay its why i would rather trade for around equal bk value than sell

I wonder if the folks at beckett get on trading sites like this & go thru trades & sales to look for values also....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quad Czechoslovak patch

Hi, read your 'cheapskate thread' it's a never ending discussion, I think there Is a bit to both sides...I was wondering though if you still have that quad patch and what r u looking for in return. I am half Slovak half Czech, and collect nice cards of oth teams so would give the card a good home if it's still available...

BANNED

Country

Also, I dont see an end in sight. Especially with pannini into the picture now with its 100 parralels of each card. I mean i really like pannini, but with all the variations, jerseys, pactches, patch auto's, its like someone said already, there's nothing really specially about a 100 BV card that makes it work buying for 100 bucks. In my opinion and what i try to do is trade only. You actually can get more value out of your card book value wise. The sellers wont like it, but there are people out there that still actually trade, and not just in it for a quick buck.

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

Is it really rocket science to figure that out? The Great Beckett Magazine Revolters and the Ebay Price Following Lemmings wanted it that way.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (69)
    Country
    See na's Items on eBay

i approve of this rant. Nice job!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Well I was just getting ready to head over to the LCS to buy a box of titanium, now I'm just to depressed to go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well I was just getting ready to head over to the LCS to buy a box of titanium, now I'm just to depressed to go.

Definetly go try a box. It's a ton of fun and there are some nice hits

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast