Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I fail to see how the market would be better if everyone overpaid. This makes no sense. If a card is going for $10 regularly on ebay, I would be a fool to pay $40 somewhere else. That's just the way things work. I also fail to see how you can say someone doesn't have a 2nd grade education because they are not willing to pay triple, or quadruple the going rate for something. Yeah, I just paid $100,000 for my Dodge Caravan because the seller told me it was real special and *should* be worth that much.

If you paid more for an given card, and were likewise paid more for what you were selling, then there would be more money moving through the hobby. A $100 box wouldn't be such an impossible gamble. The more money moves is better for an economy or industry. For example:

-You have $200 to spend on cards. Right now, you can probably go and pick up a couple boxes for that price. With today's current sales, you may only get $20-$25 back from each box. Okay, so now you have $50 after selling your hits....what can you do with that $50? Nothing. Can't buy any nice singles or PC cards, certainly not another box. You're broke, until you can repeat the cycle again.

or................................................ .....

-You have $200 o spend on cards. Let's say two boxes to keep things equal. However, this time people pay you for your hits and you make back $120-$130. Wow! That might actually be worth the risk. With a 60%-70$ return on your original investment, you can maybe take a gamble on another box, buy a PC card, or just be happy that a $200 gamble only cost you $80. (Wishful thinking I know.lol)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

Or do what many of us figured out a long time ago, save your money, don't buy wax because you don't get a good return and pick up the cards that make you happy. I don't think the problem here is people being too cheap but rather why would someone continue spending high amounts on certain cards when the same thing keeps getting made year after year. It's the same with any other consumer good. How much does a playstation system cost now as compared to three years ago. Everything loses value over time and when companies keep making the same thing over and over they also lose their value in the market. Don't like the return your getting from a box, then don't buy the box.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

But 2010CTyler, you're asking people to artificially prop up the value of things to have more money flowing through the hobby. That's a strategy that is doomed to fail for so many reasons. Most notably, if these "hits" were selling for 3 to 4 times more than they are worth now, do you think box prices will actually remain flat? Of course not, they will go up too, and we're all screwed. Secondly, two things will ALWAYS remain true...sellers will want the most they can possibly get for their items, and buyers will want to pay the least they can. Expecting this to be any different is very naiive. The market is over saturated, no question. And it sad to see what should be great hits going for peanuts, but asking people to pay more for the good of the hobby is not something anyone can possibly think is realistic.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

It's like on our tax forms, the Ontario government asking me to donate my tax return to help pay down the provincial debt. Great idea in principle...but yeah, right. I highly doubt too many people do this.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you paid more for an given card, and were likewise paid more for what you were selling, then there would be more money moving through the hobby. A $100 box wouldn't be such an impossible gamble. The more money moves is better for an economy or industry. For example:

-You have $200 to spend on cards. Right now, you can probably go and pick up a couple boxes for that price. With today's current sales, you may only get $20-$25 back from each box. Okay, so now you have $50 after selling your hits....what can you do with that $50? Nothing. Can't buy any nice singles or PC cards, certainly not another box. You're broke, until you can repeat the cycle again.

or................................................ .....

-You have $200 o spend on cards. Let's say two boxes to keep things equal. However, this time people pay you for your hits and you make back $120-$130. Wow! That might actually be worth the risk. With a 60%-70$ return on your original investment, you can maybe take a gamble on another box, buy a PC card, or just be happy that a $200 gamble only cost you $80. (Wishful thinking I know.lol)

That theory is completely wrong. You are taking an economic commodity and isolating it.

Having everyone pay a bit more so that you can sell a bit more which in theory makes the prices you pay for a box worth more sounds goods.

That is all it is. It sounds good but will never work.

The hobby and card company takes into account, whether SV or BV, how well the cards they produce do in the secondary market. So does the stores and distributors.

As soon as you have cards selling for and getting better return, the product will also sell a lot faster. Eventually, supply and demand kicks in and once again the box prices go up.

And when box prices goes up, all you have done is force people to pay more for cards.

If you increase one thing, another thing will increase as well.

And the second thing, you isolated the hobby as if it reflects nothing on daily life. When you start paying more for one thing regardless of your return. You decrease demand. Which means you once again decrease prices because less people are willing to pay more for something that isn't worth it.

Even if that doesn't apply, there are always substitutes to card collecting. You will start having people leave the hobby. You decrease interest more than anything.

Yes, wishful thinking. I rather spend deflated values on cards that pay inflated prices.
    Last edited by Yipper; 06-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Essentially what is being suggested here is buyers should "donate" money to fund box breaking. If I'm going to donate money, I'll send it to a food bank before a card collecting hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (139)
    Country
    See adamslogikcards's Items on eBay

oops....
    Last edited by adamslogik; 06-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (139)
    Country
    See adamslogikcards's Items on eBay

The problem with the hobby is the same as the problem with the economy. People are buying things they can't afford. Simple as that.

And before you tell me that I am wrong, and that you CAN afford it, let me just clarify that there is a difference between being able to AFFORD something, and having the means to purchase it.

I could BUY a new sports card, but I would need to use my kids college fund, or use my line of credit. So although I have the means to purchase it, that does not necessarily mean that I can AFFORD it.

That is what is wrong with the hobby, people are spending money on cards that they don't have, or that they need back to pay for other things.

If you need to sell the case you just broke to pay your bills, then you probably shouldn't have bought it.

This is not to say that everyone who busts a case can't afford it, but there are a shocking number of people who definitely fit that description.

THAT is why there are an abundance of "hits" that sell for less than the price of the pack that they came in, because people who opened those packs couldn't afford them and now need their money back. Like someone on welfare buying a new Xbox on payday and then pawning it a couple of weeks later for 3/4 of what they paid that they can buy groceries.
    Last edited by adamslogik; 06-30-2012 at 05:24 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Instead of writing anything, I'll just say that I agree with everything posted by subban7677.

What the OP suggests is essentially an artificial inflation of the market, which might help sellers in the short term but which would cause some serious pain down the road.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

It's overproduction. The reason the simple jersey cards from the $20 pack of Titanium are worthless is BECAUSE every product has jersey cards. I also agree, save yourself the $100, and just BUY the damn card you want. Who's gonna bust 2010-2011 S2 at $150 a box for a 12% change a a Seguin YG that's worth $60? I have my PC and I generally buy singles for it. Before I buy a box to BUST (just for the occasional thrill of the hunt) I watch a ton of breaks on youtube. Rookie Anthology? NOT! 4 or 5 of the packs have a crap Dufex pinnacle non numbered RC. Overproduction, too many products. I'd be happy with UD1 and UD2, Victory and Score for the kids, and Cup and Dominion for the people with money to burn.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast