Need help valueing Jordan rookie card

My son and I are new to collecting but have the opportunity to buy a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card that is graded BCCG 9. Can anyone tell me a fair price or price range for this card.

Thank you very much.

First of all, BCCG is the worst & lowest standard grading company there is. I am looking at a Beckett magazine and they say BCCG 9 is equal to PSA 7.

The price range on a PSA 7 MJ rookie card is $400 - $600 in Beckett.

So do not overpay for this card, just because you see a "9" on the slab.
    - Andy

Beckett Basketball Plus Super Collector - Spring '06
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

To add to what lakersmc wrote, I would avoid the BCCG label all together. You are better off spending the money on a PSA 7. I picked one up for $325 about a year ago. They can be had off ebay for <$400 pretty frequently. Just look for a well centered copy with little touching on the corners.

FYI a BCCG 10 is "Mint or Better" and a BCCG 9 is "Near-Mint Or Better". However, I have seen many crossover results during my time on the PSA boards and they rarely cross at that grade and in some cases turn up 2 full grades lower or more, and in rare instances, are returned as recolored or trimmed. BCCG is not a close cousin to BGS/BVG (which IMO has laxxed it's standards as of late)

LakersMC:

Isn't BCCG a Beckett company? If "yes" why would one of their magazines pan their rating company?

I'll be happy to answer that for you. The truth is they aren't really "panning" BCCG. It just happens that the way BCCG chose to market their product the number grade doesn't apply to the "named" condition the way BGS, GAI, PSA etc do. I'll give you an example...

BCCG 10 - Many would expect this would be a perfect card and would command a nice premium. And why wouldn't they, a PSA 10, BGS 9.5 etc are "Gem Mint". However, as I explained earlier a BCCG 10 is only a "Mint or Better". It was a great marketing ploy...I call it "confusion by numbers". Most people are on to the gig now and pay accordingly, but younger buyers and newcomers to the hobby aren't up to speed on what's happening with this, so it's good you asked.

I hope that clears it up some for you. :)

-Josh

The BCCG service does not offer the four category (corners, centering, edges, and surface) break down. It is a more simplified grading scale that offers whole point grades only. The regular graders do grade all BCCG cards and are qualified Beckett graders though.

only bgs put all those sub grades, and i dont care how bad bccg is but its very cheap and has a good case to store the card, if dat bccg cost around 300 then i would recommand you get a certified ud jordan auto instead
    Last edited by CardCollector718; 01-11-2006 at 01:50 AM.