Thread: 1926 Red Grange Football Cards

1926 Red Grange Football Cards

Im looking into getting some, possibly to re-sell and was curious if anyone had any ideas of their value.

There are 4 of them, and their all in VG/EX or better condition...
    I was told $200-$500 each depending on condition.

Thanks!
    Jake

Which cards from 1926? The earliest Grange card I can think of was the '35 National Chicle & the '33 Sport Kings cards...

I sent a request to someone I know collected these. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Just as I expected I got a fantastic response. Here is what he sent me. I hope these resources help you.

------
    Hi Josh, thanks for dropping me a line.

As I'm sure you can tell by the title of the set and the scans, the set was inserted into candy bars to advertise a movie Grange was in (I think it was called One Minute to Go). It's extremely condition sensitive, as it was printed on paper stock and put in chocolate bars 80 years ago . They came in two versions, ad back and blank back, with ad back being scarcer. As for prices, they don't come up very often so it's hard to say, but roughly $100-$500 based on condition and if the card is an action shot or a movie scene.

There are a couple people who know more about the set than I, that I can refer you to. Carl Lamendola http://www.sgccardregistry.com/index...175&usetid=113 is an expert on pre-war football, and has complete sets of both versions. I bought my card from Joe Colabella http://www.joecolabella.com/ who has tons more for sale and is also an expert on pre-war football. There may have been an article on the set in an issue of Gridiron Greats http://gridirongreats.net/ but I don't remember for sure. My back issues are in storage so I can't check, but if you e-mail Frank Rose (the publisher) I'm sure he can tell you and sell you a copy if you want.

Have fun with the set, or tell your friend to . Pre-war football is very interesting, and this is a cool set.

One last note: I don't know if the picture of the fronts you attached is just overexposed, but they look awfully white. They should be toned a little like you'd expect an 80-year old card to look like. The backs look ok, so I hope it's just the picture and not the cards that are so white. What is the card stock like? It should be much thinnner than a modern cardboard card... maybe just a little thicker than a sheet of notebook paper.

Joe

-------------

Hope that helps.

-Josh

That is correct... they are on paper stock, and very thin... The picture makes them look a lot more white then they really are.. They are yellowish/faded in color...

I dont know how to grade them, but I also talked to Joe today and he made an offer on them figuring they were worth a little less then what I was going to pay for them...

Thanks for the help!