Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

This Gaborik mailday brought to you by the letter "K"

Very happy to have this new Gaborik acquisition in hand:

2010 ITG Superlative Volume 2 Marian Gaborik Nameplate Letter "K"

I have always wanted a game-worn nameplate letter for my Gaborik collection and I didn't expect to win the auction for this one as I figured the price would be higher.

The grand total for such a big PC card? A whopping $45

Needless to say I am very happy with this, I would buy the other letters in the nameplate all day long if I could get them all for that price :D

Now the dilemma...

Can we consider nameplate letters to be 1/1's?

I know ITG numbers these as 1/1's but other companies number them to the letters in the players' name. As soon as I won this auction I started debating with myself as to how I would categorize this card. Part of me says each letter is a unique piece so it should be 1/1, another part of me says the letter is only one part of a complete set so it should be numbered out of the total letters.

I normally wouldn't care very much either way but if this could be considered a true 1/1 it would be the first 1/1 in my Gaborik collection so I've been racking my brain trying to decide. I would be interested in hearing what everybody else thinks if you would like to weigh in :)

Regardless this is a huge PC card for me and I am thrilled to have it without breaking the bank. Here's to hoping the Rangers letters make it into the Superlative 3 checklist so I can add one of those as well :D

Thanks for looking!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it should be considered a 1/1 because even though theirs a complete nameplate theirs only one of each letter.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

I think it should be considered a 1/1 because even though theirs a complete nameplate theirs only one of each letter.

Which is fine for a name like Gaborik, but what about someone like Messier? Two "E"'s and two "S"'s, hard to call those 1/1's even when considering their relative positions in the nameplate. Very much a grey area for me but interesting to hear what others think!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Which is fine for a name like Gaborik, but what about someone like Messier? Two "E"'s and two "S"'s, hard to call those 1/1's even when considering their relative positions in the nameplate. Very much a grey area for me but interesting to hear what others think!

Agreed I call them 1/1 and if a name has two Es as stated above I call it 1/2 without concern for position.

Even when SPGU says 1/50 but its someone with 10 letters in their name for example that's a 1/5 for me. Most casual collectors make the assumption there will be 50 versions of each letter. And same rule applies if a double letter in name, I consider it a 1/10.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (162)
    Country
    Navy
    Minnesota Wild Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Twins
    See ceej830's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

It's a 1/1 in my book. If a game-used nameplate, it can be the only "K". And ITG even serial numbers it 1/1 on the back, unlike the Upper Deck "By The Letters" which would have numbered it 7/7.
    GO WILD!!!

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

True, but also to make any nameplate their is still only one of each, even take my pc, brad richards, two "R"s. Even though their are two I cant complete that nameplate without both

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See plindbergh31's Items on eBay

Sweet Pickup Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (14)
    Country

On the card says 1/1.... So it's a 1/1

Every patch or jersey card (by your definition) should also be 1/1 since each swatch is unique.... Whatever the company stamps it as, it is.

My opinion