Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

According to teaching, God never came about because God has always been with no beginning or end. So to ask where he came from is one of those questions that shows.misunderstanding.

Christian apologists have been using that excuse for decades, but it is flawed.

I guess drtom already explained it, but if you say that god has always been, then I can say the Universe has always been without a beginning or end.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's fine. It doesn't change the teaching.

OK, so the teaching is flawed...

Also, because you've never seen something is not proof of non-existence.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Alex, that really doesn't matter. You've shown you dong understand the teaching and can't wrap your head around it. You understand something coming from nothing, but can't figure out something with no beginning. You need to put more effort into understanding and less into hating. You'll get farther on the long run. At this point there's no point in attempting to understand you, since you make no effort to understand those you disagree with.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Alex, that really doesn't matter. You've shown you dong understand the teaching and can't wrap your head around it. You understand something coming from nothing, but can't figure out something with no beginning. You need to put more effort into understanding and less into hating. You'll get farther on the long run. At this point there's no point in attempting to understand you, since you make no effort to understand those you disagree with.

Woah, woah, woah.....wait a minute.

Please explain where I say that I believe something came from nothing.

I don't believe in such a philosophy.

If you are referring to the big bang, I can assure you that the big bang does not purport that the universe came from nothing. What we don't know is what happened BEFORE the big bang.

This is something that scientists are happy to say "I don't know, but we're still searching for the answers..."

If anyone thinks that something came from nothing, it is christians.

They say as you are saying that god has always been.....in other words, he came from nothing, and he created everything from nothing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Alex this is what science and Christianity have at it core, no one knows what was before the beginning.

also, they both try to understand the beginning.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Alex this is what science and Christianity have at it core, no one knows what was before the beginning.

also, they both try to understand the beginning.

I'm sorry Shrew but that is simply not true.

Christianity does not do anything to try to understand the beginning.

They are already content with what they BELIEVE is the beginning.

They are NOT searching for answers the way science is.

Christianity says that in the beginning god created everything, they don't make any explanation where this god came from and how exactly he created everything without any evidence.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

That's fine. It doesn't change the teaching. Also, because you've never seen something is not proof of non-existence.

You are correct with this statement. It does make it look like god doesn't really care if it exists. Although I reserve the right to change my mind on God if good empirical evidence is made available.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

You are correct with this statement. It does make it look like god doesn't really care if it exists. Although I reserve the right to change my mind on God if good empirical evidence is made available.

Well, that's not true atheism. If you still entertain the idea, then there's doubt that he doesn't exist. Atheism IS a belief. A belief there is no God.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

Well, that's not true atheism. If you still entertain the idea, then there's doubt that he doesn't exist. Atheism IS a belief. A belief there is no God.

No there are hard (gnostic) atheists and agnostic atheists. I see no evidence for a god, so I do not believe there is one. I do allow the possibility if evidence comes about to change my mind. Right now the chances in my mind are pretty slim for a god( like one in a trillion).

Get some good evidence for the particular god you want me to believe in and I might change my mind. Good evidence to me is scientifically replicated data though. This would be difficult for all believers to provide currently.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 12-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Although I reserve the right to change my mind on God if good empirical evidence is made available.

Count me in with that.

If tomorrow we are given good evidence that god exists, then I'll have no choice but to change my mind and I really wouldn't be upset if god does in fact exists.

Atheism is only the response to the theistic question "Do you believe god exists"?

We (atheist) say "no" to this question.

However, there is another question.

That is "Do you KNOW if god exists"?

I answer this question as "I don't know"......therefore I am BOTH agnostic and atheist.

Agnostic-Atheist.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast