Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 49 of 282 FirstFirst ... 39464748495051525999149 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Maple Leafs
    See thehip_022's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

the fun thing also about BIN/BO some buyers must really not like it or something ... i have listed cards and never even got an offer , then listed an auction starting at .99 and have sold for more than the BIN price , mind you it doesn't happen a lot but has happened a few times now .

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

the fun thing also about BIN/BO some buyers must really not like it or something ... i have listed cards and never even got an offer , then listed an auction starting at .99 and have sold for more than the BIN price , mind you it doesn't happen a lot but has happened a few times now .

very rarely happens, if ever. sometimes you get a bidding war, but maybe for me, I've had this happen maybe twice over 4000 sales.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See theofleury14's Items on eBay

What about with starting price of auctions and such... before i joined the forum i found that if i started auctions at 99 cents, more eyes, more watches, and more bids rolled in on them.... but in this thread alone ive seen like 6 or 7 ppl saying thats not a great practice, and to quote one guy "75% of the time you will be disappointed" ... sooooo i listed a lot of things this week, almost all at BIN/BO haha... I'm so conflicted :p

If you have a price in mind for the card, I would try the BIN/BO approach for a while. But after a while if there aren't many offers and/or watchers and it's a card I'm looking to move/sell, then I'll put it up for $0.99 and take whatever.

But $0.99 auctions definitely aren't as good at getting a "decent" price as it used to be, the market is kind of in a lull until next season, when it should improve. But yeah, $0.99 auctions now will leave disappointed most of the time.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I had one on eBay with a BIN/BO of $110 and kept getting offers of $60-$80 while other copies were auctioning at the $120 mark. It never ceases to amaze me how people will give up a good deal to fight for a bad one.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See the_hockeycouple's Items on eBay

I had one on eBay with a BIN/BO of $110 and kept getting offers of $60-$80 while other copies were auctioning at the $120 mark. It never ceases to amaze me how people will give up a good deal to fight for a bad one.

It's so true, but I think many people get caught in a "I need to win THIS auction" and stop caring about the price and just about winning it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have bought my entire PC from ebay ( and some great forum purchases ) so I should not be dense enough to still have this question. Your help would be appreciated, and if you insult my intelligence please make them funny at least -

I have read the posts on " shill " bidding, and have been sure it,s happened to me. I tend to get over excited and slap a high bid down immediately. Several times I have been bid to my max then it stops. Have seen the " unknown name " bidders several times.

My question- does the seller SEE HOW MUCH YOUR HIGH BID IS ? I have asked and been told no, but if they don,t see it then the " shill " bidder is risking topping me and then I drop out. It only makes sense to me that shill bidding takes place if the seller knows my high bid. There are enough stories here to convince me it does take place, and I should stop bidding high immediately.

Any answers, even insulting, are welcome. Thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rydlar99's Items on eBay

Shill bidding does of course take place, but no, sellers can't see your high bid.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Rylin

So a shill bidder will just post bids to raise a price, but not intend to be the high bidder when it ends. I guess it is just a coincidence, but more than a couple of times it has seemed that bids are placed right up to my limit, but they stop there. Basically getting every penny out of me based on what I had bid. Seems also that it happens mostly when it's a card with only one other bidder. I collect ITG ex Spitfires ( Hall, Ellis, Fowler, Bailey etc ). Those cards are not overly popular these days. I don't need many, and I have seen numerous cards end without a bid.

Thanks for the answer, I feel a bit safer haha

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sorry. Thanks RYDLAR.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

If the shiller bids in the smallest increments allowed at whatever the bid level is and puts in an odd number (like $1.24) to start, they can bid up and find out your max by bidding until they are outbid by less than the next complete increment. E.g.: Your max is 5.50...shiller bids 5.06 and is outbid, with eBay proxy bidding for you up to 5.31 (bid increments at $5-$10 are 25 cents, iirc); shiller then bids 5.32 and eBay proxy bids for you up to 5.50; shiller sees their bid was raised by less than the max and can stop.

I've done this many times - not as a shill, but to see where my competition is and decide if I want to exceed their bid later on with a manual snipe.

Page 49 of 282 FirstFirst ... 39464748495051525999149 ... LastLast