Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ahh yes we have to carry on your religious crusade.So someone rapes which is cruel and a horrible thing so we should not be cruel to the offenders.What is the world you live in again? OZ

That's right.

To me it does not matter how horrible your crime was, the point of justice is not to be vindictive.

Furthermore, I don't believe in "Eye of an eye" OT laws.

This is why I'm also against any type of torture and the death penalty as well.

Rotting away in a small prison cell for the rest of your life, is punishment enough.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Well working in a prison I can tell you they don't rot.They get alot of nonsense they should not.If they rot in a dark cell then fine but there should be no tv,gym,visits,anything.Are you built for that or are you going to try and repair all criminals?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, by "rot" I meant that their freedom has been stripped and they'll never be able to do what we do on a regular basis.

Think about it.

No sex.

No internet.

No sports!

I could not live without those three things....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe YOU CAN'T but others can.So again by rot that should mean stripped of everything.They get 3 meals a day and hour to walk around a rec area other than that in their cell rotting.See you can;t have it both ways their has to be punishment so if my way is too cruel your way has to have some tinkering

Well, by "rot" I meant that their freedom has been stripped and they'll never be able to do what we do on a regular basis.

Think about it.

No sex.

No internet.

No sports!

I could not live without those three things....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex, the death penalty does not have to be about revenge, though I am sure for some it is. the death penalty is about removing someone who will harm society from society permanently. paying for them to live or give them the chance to molest, rape, or murder again is just plain insanity.
    it is not about torture or pain but about protecting our fellow humans from those who will do them harm.

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, the death penalty does not have to be about revenge, though I am sure for some it is. the death penalty is about removing someone who will harm society from society permanently. paying for them to live or give them the chance to molest, rape, or murder again is just plain insanity.
    it is not about torture or pain but about protecting our fellow humans from those who will do them harm.

Couldn't you do that with a life sentence without the possibility of parole?

There are various reasons why I'm against the death penalty....here are my top reasons.

#1 As shocking as it may be, the death penalty is on many occasions more expensive than keeping a prisoner alive for the rest of his life.

#2 The possibility of having an innocent person be executed is not worth it....even if there's only a minuscule chance of this happening....WE KNOW that it HAS happened, (think about how many people have been saved thanks to DNA evidence) and it is the greatest shame to execute an innocent life.

#3 As a humanist I value life, and despite the terrible things humans might do to each other, I still can't find any justification to execute a person once he has been caught.

#4 As an atheist, I strongly believe that death is THE END, there is nothing left, once you're dead, that's it.

You see, religions teach that the crimes (AKA "Sins") that you commit in life will be atoned for in the afterlife.

I have no such thoughts....I believe you should atone for your crimes (not sins, since I don't believe in that) here on earth as a living person.

If you kill someone, then you must live the rest of your life with that.....dying is getting off easy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, all good points, here are a few of mine.

I agree once your body is dead, that is it, your body is dead, you are gone from the earth. if you are a rapist, murderer, or molester, you should be gone.
    I do find it strange you are pro choice and against the death penalty, strange but I can't say wrong
    I am not talking about killing everyone who commits a crime.
    it costs more to take care of a prisoner than a lot of people make a year, and a rope or one bullet is pretty cheap. but I do understand with our current system it is expensive, that would need to be fixed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do find it strange you are pro choice and against the death penalty, strange but I can't say wrong
    I am not talking about killing everyone who commits a crime.

We've been through this before...

I'm not "pro-abortion", I'm pro- choosing what to do with your own body....furthermore, I don't consider abortion to be murder since a non-viable fetus is not the same as you or I.

it costs more to take care of a prisoner than a lot of people make a year, and a rope or one bullet is pretty cheap. but I do understand with our current system it is expensive, that would need to be fixed.

Here, I'll show you that it is indeed more expensive to execute a prisoner:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases. This process is needed in order to ensure that innocent men and woman are not executed for crimes they did not commit, and even with these protections the risk of executing an innocent person can not be completely eliminated.

Read more here: http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, you must have missed this

but I do understand with our current system it is expensive, that would need to be fixed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

ENCORE

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast