Thread: Trading Tips?

Trading Tips?

Hi, I have been collecting sports cards for about 18-19 years now. I've been trading online for probably 5 years. I'm sure there's many of collectors out there who can relate to this question. How can I unload my base cards for cards I can use...? I am a Nolan Ryan fan, and he's all I collect now. And with a limited income, and a wife..., I can't spend money on cards like I want to. Maybe a few boxes a year...But it gets to a point when you have hardly anything of great interest. What I would like to to is get rid of as many base cards as possible. I'd like to get Nolan Ryan's I need, and if not him, #'d inserts are usually fairly hot trade items. Like I said, I'm sure there's plenty of you out there who can relate to this question. I like to think i'm pretty wise when it comes to trading, but I was wondering if there were some traders out there who had some tips on this. I'd love to get plenty of input on this subject, whether it be advice, tips, or additional questions...Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, JOSH

2. Allgood (eBay Store)
    you can trade them to people that collect base (hard to find those folks these days).
    Try and sell them cheap on Ebay. This always sucks because they dont get much. I have the same prob as I have like 7 huge boxes lined with base cards. If you get a good idea as well LMK too.

The following methods have sometimes worked, but... if you use it, its up to you:

Beg your local card store - if you've been a good customer?

Pretend to have an Estate Auction - on ebay you can say you bought X cards at an estate auction and are selling them off etc etc.

Repack. If you have good non-Nolan Ryan cards, think about re-packing and offer them inlots on ebay. Guaranteed odds are always nice and bonus for buying X packs

Chairty - Since you mentionned limited income, this may not help, but often the tax man gives some consideration for tax purposes - get your collection appraised at the Beckett BV value (which will be much higher than an ebay sell value) and then donate the stuff. You can write off the donation for taxes and spend the money you save

Trade Shows - In bigger cities they have trade shows. Mostly delers of course, but it attracts other collectors, so if you're patient, you can probaly trade off those extra cards.

Can't think of much else. Good luck!

trade in someone elses favor.. i collect many low end players and the best way for me to get base cards i dont have is offer them a star player in exchange for my 5 cent common... to me an aj guyton is worth more than a T-Mac
    Magglio Ordonez 665/4851 13.7%
    AJ Guyton 75/87 85% plus 5 1/1's
    Hidden Content

sell team/player lots on eBay. You can also try selling the entire lot you have as one big one(ie: 10,000 cards - Commons and stars). Usually megalots get some interest, especially from store owners who are looking to build up their inventory in one easy buy.

Don`t bother with the tax man. It really doesn`t save you much unless you have no writeoffs, otherwise the IRS may want to ask a few questions. You really don`t need them asking questions, do you? Most people already write off the max they can without questions being asked, so unless you have no writeoffs, don`t bother.

Hey guys, I appreciate all the tips and ideas. They are all great, and I will probably dabble with all of them. And if I come up with some other ideas, i'll post them here. Thanks again and good luck with your collections. JOSH