Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I read it perfectly fine. Unfortunately, tone of voice doesn't carry through type. You should know by now that I can't hear or see you, so I can only go by your words. Your words said leave it for the media.
    The difference here is I went by your words, and even managed to interpret what you meant over the words you used, and you sit there and tell me I read it wrong. I looked for a solution, you passed blame. I look for positive, you point out the (nonexistent) negative, and then say I'm the negative one. Forgive me if that makes little sense.

Back to topic, since none of this was my point and I've once again allowed myself to by dragged down into a semantics argument, my point still stands. Sheltering is bad parenting. Teaching is good parenting. Why you needed to sidetrack onto Barbie when that was just an example is beyond me, but I'm no expert on the thought processes of others, so I'm not going to smack my head (is: I won't call you an idiot in a veiled manner) because it's unnecessary and, frankly, pointless.

Here is exactly what I said. "Keep the serious discussions about body image for the constant bombardment of media that she is going to encounter." How you interpreted that to mean "leave it to the media", is beyond my comprehension? Who would your daughter have "discussions" with, you or the media? How do you confuse "constant bombardment" with "discussion"? Trying to converse with you is TOXIC. Even when I try to give you some friendly advice you twist it into an attack. Back to the topic and your point. Yes, teaching is definitely better than sheltering. What is being taught in this situation is the question and more to the point at what age it is being taught.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Here is exactly what I said. "Keep the serious discussions about body image for the constant bombardment of media that she is going to encounter." How you interpreted that to mean "leave it to the media", is beyond my comprehension? Who would your daughter have "discussions" with, you or the media? How do you confuse "constant bombardment" with "discussion"? Trying to converse with you is TOXIC. Even when I try to give you some friendly advice you twist it into an attack. Back to the topic and your point. Yes, teaching is definitely better than sheltering. What is being taught in this situation is the question and more to the point at what age it is being taught.

Oh, so you only want the media to determine when I teach my kids. That's no better, really.

Also, Barbie is part of the constant media barrage. Actually, calling it a media barrage is misleading. It's a societal barrage that has way too much power because parents aren't teaching their kids anything until the 6 o'clock news tells them to.

So fine, I got it wrong, my bad. I still think you're off base for the same reasons and I still think you're hellbent on arguing semantics every time I post.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

How did this discussion end up at Barbies?

Barbies don't take lives, and don't require training, permits, or a sound mind - that's all I will say in the matter.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

How did this discussion end up at Barbies?

Barbies don't take lives, and don't require training, permits, or a sound mind - that's all I will say in the matter.

It got to Barbie because I used it as an example and Habs thought it was the point, apparently.

I'll also say that "age appropriate" is a misnomer. Appropriate has nothing to do with age and everything to do with maturity. My guess is that kid is more mature than some people on these boards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

i was given my first .22 when i was ten. it taught me responsibility with a firearm as well as respect for guns and what they can do. What is better for a kid growing up in a house with guns? to be ignored and not taught until they are adults or for them to be given gradual responsibility so that they can learn as they grow?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

i was given my first .22 when i was ten. it taught me responsibility with a firearm as well as respect for guns and what they can do. What is better for a kid growing up in a house with guns? to be ignored and not taught until they are adults or for them to be given gradual responsibility so that they can learn as they grow?

So your parents bought you a .22 at the age of ten and from that point on you learnt responsibility and respect for guns? Perhaps you should have learnt to respect them before you were given one of your own? To answer your question though. I will ask my own. This kid growing up in a house of guns is is probably also growing up in a house of alcohol, sex and possibly tobacco. Should this kid be exposed to those things too in an attempt to teach them responsibility? Surely they can start learning to handle their liquor gradually rather than being exposed to it all at once when they are legal and supposedly mature enough for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thefiorecollection's Items on eBay

one thing to note, the kid has his finger straight and off the trigger.

the kid also has the rifle pointed upward and away. these are signs that he has saftey training.

owning a firearm is a responsibility and from that picture, the kid is looking responsible. Teaching children responsibility and educating them about firearms is good parenting and not bad.

i'm for this, provided that saftey and respect are taught, which they look like they are. Having a gun safe is also another indication that this is responsible.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

So your parents bought you a .22 at the age of ten and from that point on you learnt responsibility and respect for guns? Perhaps you should have learnt to respect them before you were given one of your own? To answer your question though. I will ask my own. This kid growing up in a house of guns is is probably also growing up in a house of alcohol, sex and possibly tobacco. Should this kid be exposed to those things too in an attempt to teach them responsibility? Surely they can start learning to handle their liquor gradually rather than being exposed to it all at once when they are legal and supposedly mature enough for it.

no, i was taught responsibility both before and after. I had shown responsibility which led to me receiving a .22 when i was 10. when i was 15 i was given my shotgun and deer rifle.

let me ask you a question. at what age should a kid be exposed to and allowed to use different types of guns? should kids have no exposure until they are 18 and they can do whatever they want with them? would that lead to responsible gun habits and practices?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

no, i was taught responsibility both before and after. I had shown responsibility which led to me receiving a .22 when i was 10. when i was 15 i was given my shotgun and deer rifle.

let me ask you a question. at what age should a kid be exposed to and allowed to use different types of guns? should kids have no exposure until they are 18 and they can do whatever they want with them? would that lead to responsible gun habits and practices?

IMO, it should be a gradual progression and I think 10 is too young for anything more than a pellet gun. If society deems 16 to be the age to begin trusting children with a vehicle, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to expect children to be kept away from weapons that can kill until they are a similar age.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

hopefully the kid only hurts himself or his parents when he messes up and fires the thing off wrong, or when a non gun responsible person breaks into the home and gets a hold of the gun...

it's not the responsible people that do the damage with all of these guns, and unfortunately, the responsible and knowledgeable ones are out numbered 1000-1 here in the states...
    Last edited by xpucksx; 03-25-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast