Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See th1ckasabr1ck's Items on eBay

Definitely a fake. It's scary how well people can fake these cards, makes things tough for collectors.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Pacific notoriously inserted shields into their patch cards.

The card in question may have been modified due to the size of the shield in relation to the swatch window but:

The following two cards were pack-pulled by me. All contain part of the NHL shield. Because they are not orange, they must be fake, right???

Plus, proof that there were silver shields on game-used memorabilia from that era are these from my own personal goaltending collection (one from the 2000-01 season and one from the 1999-00 season):

http://bcgoaltendingmuseum.weebly.co...zpatrick1.html

http://bcgoaltendingmuseum.weebly.co...-naumenko.html

These must be fake too, right?
    Last edited by IrbeFan4Life; 04-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's not that the shield is silver, it's the direction of the NHL lettering on it. That shield colour was on a couple of the jerseys that I saw while researching my response to this topic but on all of them they had the downward slant rather than the upward that is shown in the OP's original comment. That's the distinguishing factor.

Rather than trying to make an argument that doesn't exist (i.e. "my stuff must be fake too eh?") it's best to look at what people are actually saying in the topic first.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

My mistake and my apologies. I didn't get that that was the issue with the shield.

I recind my previous statement. I am functioning on 3 hours of sleep after 16 hours of work.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

To revisit what I said earlier about the size of the shield giving it away before anything else, here is a comparison:

Right size:

Wrong, tiny size:

The only way a "shield" would be that small is if it was from a tag somewhere on the jersey but even then it wouldn't be embroidered like that and the "NHL" would be running down from left to right as mentioned by others.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kingum's Items on eBay

I'm not an expert on spotting fakes, but I did find this auction for a 01-02 Robert Lang game worn jersey. The game play pictures seem to match the jersey (based on stains on it) and the NHL patch on the lower back of the jersey looks silver and black to me. However, it is not accompanied by a cert of auth so it's still questionable based on what everyone is taking about.

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/prod...-5374-133.html

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Again, it's not the colour of the shield; it's the orientation of "NHL" on it that is the distinguishing factor.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pdgoebel's Items on eBay

My apologies for the newbie question but I am still relatively new to jersey/swatch cards. I don't understand why someone would take the effort to remove the real shield from a memorabilia card and replace it with a fake one. Can the culprit turn around and sell the stand-alone shield for anything? Is there some sort of shield-fairy that goes around collecting shields and putting money under your pillow? It just seems like whoever did this ruined a perfectly good card (with the risk of not being able to sell it for as much if it were untampered) and took on some bad karma and a guilty conscience, and all to keep the real shield for himself? I don't get it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

My apologies for the newbie question but I am still relatively new to jersey/swatch cards. I don't understand why someone would take the effort to remove the real shield from a memorabilia card and replace it with a fake one. Can the culprit turn around and sell the stand-alone shield for anything? Is there some sort of shield-fairy that goes around collecting shields and putting money under your pillow? It just seems like whoever did this ruined a perfectly good card (with the risk of not being able to sell it for as much if it were untampered) and took on some bad karma and a guilty conscience, and all to keep the real shield for himself? I don't get it.

There was no shield in this card originally, it would have been a regular patch piece.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pdgoebel's Items on eBay

There was no shield in this card originally, it would have been a regular patch piece.

Yes, but I have seen similar cases where this was done to a patch card. The real patch was removed and replaced with a fake one. The replacement didn't even look any better (same complexity of design, number of colours, etc.).

But I see your point on how someone is trying to upgrade the value of the card by inserting a better piece of memorabilia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast