Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

1953-54 Parkhurst Set - Concerned with Size Inconsistencies of My Cards. Opinions?

I have recently started slowly but surely collecting ungraded cards from the 1953-54 Parkie Hockey set, starting with the NY Rangers (of course). In the past, the oldest cards I ever collected were from the early 70s, but most of my experience is with modern cards ('90s+).

Not surprisingly, I am concerned when I stack my 5 Parkies together and notice the apparent variation in length (and width to a slighter degree) between the cards. I've read that older Parkhurst cards tend to exhibit some size variability. This is not surprising since I know the card manufacturing technology available to Parkhurst 60 years ago was relatively primitive compared to that of Upper Deck, Panini etc. Now I'm suspecting the possibility that a few of the cards I bought online may have been shaved/altered. I'm going to my LCS in a few hours to have someone with adequate experience and expertise with vintage cards check them out for me. Below is a scanned example showing a detail of the size variation I described to you. A shorter card (#55 Max Bentley) is shown lined up on top of a longer card (#54 Jack Evans). Both are from the same dealer.

When I compare the longer Jack Evans card to a very clean, white (bleached?) looking card of Allan Stanley I bought from a different dealer, the difference is in width and length:

Any feedback (or scoldings) anyone may have to offer is always appreciated. I've learned a lot from the many knowledgeable members on this board over the years.

My two cents, for what it may be worth, to anyone with a similar lack of experience who may want to start collecting ungraded vintage material:
    1) If you buy on-line, use a trader/seller on a trusted board like SCF. You get the security of belonging to a moderated community of certified collectors.
    2) Private sellers on a site like ebay are more likely to offer unauthentic/altered vintage cards, either intentionally or through ignorance and inexperience.
    3) Buy from a dealer you have experience with and trust. Try your LCS - experienced employees can provide you with invaluable advice and knowledge.
    4) If you don't know the seller, try to see the card in person before buying. You're assuming you can agree with &/or trust a seller's written description & scan.
    5) You can also try a professional, well-known on-line dealer. You may end up paying a premium, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
    6) Start with the lower-value cards first. It's less likely to be altered. Cards from the same set you are considering can be compared to this standard card.
    7) If it looks to good to be true, it probably isn't. That "cream-puff '53 Howe card - easily a PSA 8! $100!" isn't real. Guaranteed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have many cards that I know are not altered because they were purchased in packs by my older brother. He is 73 now. I also find variation in the cards but I suspect that your Bentley has been trimmed. Not because of the size difference but the sharpness of the top right corner and the slight taper of the size top to bottom. That being said if you have any to trade I have a few from that set I would trade however I have many more to trade from 54-55 and 54-55 Topps. Contact me at [email protected]