Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kr580's Items on eBay

Scanner for cards. What to buy?

I'm finding more and more I want a scanner to show off some cards. Does anyone have any opinions on certain scanners? I've heard that some scanners have trouble with either reflective cards (foil, refractors, etc) or cards in thicker cases like screwdowns. Does anyone know a scanner or all-in-one printer that handle those well? Any that DON'T handle them well?

My budget would probably be around $100 max right now. If something is really worth it I can save up a little bit for it. I'd be happy with a cheap all-in-one but I don't wanna be stuck with a crappy scanner.

Thanks - Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Canon Pixma MX432 is an awesome all-in-one. It scans and crops everything for you and the ink is reasonable compared to other similar printers.

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

Canon Pixma MX432 is an awesome all-in-one. It scans and crops everything for you and the ink is reasonable compared to other similar printers.

I have that same exact one and I love it...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jerseycoastcollectibles's Items on eBay

I have an old HP Scanjet G3010 scanner that has served me well for many years. Does a good job on cards, documents, etc. Not sure what I paid but I know it was under $100 back in the day. I am sure others will chime in on their suggestions, but for the money it cant be beat.

Not too steal your thread but, I am in the market for a good color laser all in one printer, because my old inkjet is fading fast and I am going broke buying ink all the time. Not sure how well these laser all in ones scan cards but I am looking to upgrade my printer and if they scan cards well, then I can kill two birds with one stone!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kr580's Items on eBay

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually did a bunch of research and finally found some answers. Apparently what causes blurry cases is the CIS scanning element. The a scanner with a CCD scanning element has better depth of field so it can pick up things that aren't pressed against the glass... as in cards that are lifted off the glass by graded/screwdown/magnetic cases.

Depth example here.

I ended up buying a Canon CanoScan 5600F off Amazon for ~$80 shipped. I found one current All-In-One printer that uses a CCD and it was a bit out of my price range and wastes ink, oh well. We'll see how the 5600F works for me.