Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

That was probably a bit more of an attack against Jay and less of a defense or critique of the argument at hand, so I apologize for that.

On another note, does anyone have any questions about any specifics here? Should I just keep busting out the randoms as I see fit? I would imagine it would be more interesting if there was a built-up narrative, rather than a dissection of tidbits here and there. How about I start at the very beginning, with the story of the formation of our solar system and how it got to be the way it is today... according to Sumerian and Babylonian texts?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I want to read that and take it seriously, I really do. But the fact that he opens up with the wrestling metaphor shows he's more worried about "winning" than actual truth.

I will try again, but those first few paragraphs are a serious blow in my eyes, as far as motivation.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

no apology needed, I know how you feel about the topic and try very hard not to attack it.

you do realize that shapes are limited and thus writing can look a like. did the chinese language come from sumeria, could have, but what does that have to do with aliens? the oldest writing, to my knowledge, comes from a mine that was worked by slaves and reads, "God help me", and it was not sumerian.

i cannot comment on this whole thing in one shot, i am taking it in peices, so lets argue this a little bit at a time.

and as far as me being a fundamentalist I would like to point out all the times I have said God did not write the Bible, the Bible was put together by man, and my current favorite gospel? The Gospel of Thomas.

I do not worry about heaven or hell thus have no need to root for my religion, my religion is mine, I just happen to believe Jesus taught me about it (no not in person or spirit, just reading) I believe most of that went down the tubes when man took over the teachings of Jesus.

you cannot expect me to question you just like I expect to be questioned about my beliefs.

and just so you know, if I thought all of this was junk, I wouldn't bother posting my opinion.
    Last edited by shrewsbury; 01-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I want to read that and take it seriously, I really do. But the fact that he opens up with the wrestling metaphor shows he's more worried about "winning" than actual truth.

I will try again, but those first few paragraphs are a serious blow in my eyes, as far as motivation.

It's a basketball analogy. It's definitely an informal essay. :P Keep pushing along, the next bit is all about how the evidence for evolution is incomplete. I'm sure you'll dig that part. :)

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm all for analogies, but red flags go up when I read an "us vs. them" analogy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Probably because the opening line suggests that the theory of evolution should have put creationism away ages ago? Don't take offense man, just read. :) All he's saying is, how is it that the debate still rages on with the evidence that has been brought forward thus far?
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 01-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

for me, it is getting past stuff like this
    these statements could have been left out and the paper would have presented itself on a less bias note, which in turn would spark interests outside of their own in-group.

the very ages creationists mulishly, stupidly insist didn’t happen.

letting their dogma-hobbled opponents futilely flail away

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Probably because the opening line suggests that the theory of evolution should have put creationism away ages ago? Don't take offense man, just read. :) All he's saying is, how is it that the debate still rages on with the evidence that has been brought forward thus far?

I'm not an evolution type. The whole thing is "on the ropes" and worried about scores more than reality. I'm not saying it takes away from the theory, just the writer. I'm not likely to listen to someone who treats it as a sport. That is more than metaphor, that is competition.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you're offended and don't want to read it, you don't have to make excuses, just don't read it. They're just words, they won't bite.

For everyone else watching at home, note that not a single point or question about the actual argument being made in the essay has been brought forward thus far.
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 01-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Dude, I've said before I actually don't care how we came to be and see the search as distractionary. I'll discuss this when I'm looking to be distracted, but you could tell me we were crapped here by giant space emus 3 weeks ago and it wouldnt offend me.

Again, I'm not interested in who has more points or what theory wins the game, as this author is. I'm interested in what actually makes sense and, ultimately is the actual answer.

If you're going to keep painting me as offended as some sort of defense, I'm going to throw out this whole theory, as that's no defense of anything. If you admit this guy is worried about his side coming out on top and not necessarily the actuality of the beginnings of our existence, or simply say you disagree, then I'm likely to try again, as I already said once I am likely to do.

Your call.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast