Thread: Preseason - Big Risk? (Rule)

Preseason - Big Risk? (Rule)

Hey Gang!

Well I guess I won't lolly-gag and I'll get to the point. This post's title speaks for it all. What do you guys think? Is preseason a big risk? I've seen many teams playing their starters through as late as the 2nd quarter. Is that too long? Here's how I see it...

Starters should play it's needed, all they do during practice is run against their team's defense. So they need to get out and get use to different defenses and defense systems. But I don't think they should play the whole first half! Given I'd go 1/2 drives MAX. This way the starters get some practice outside of their own team members and they get lossened up for the season. But after seeing Chad Pennington & Michael Vick (Too name a few!) go down, pretty hard. Now they're sidelined. Pennington maybe not for long but that's how long he won't be able to practice and what not. Vick... that's just a sad story, Mr. Coka Cola won't be running till the second month of the season atleast. What do you guys think?

Also! After the "NFL Meetings" earlier in the year to discuss rules and such. They ruled against changing the overtime's rules. It's still who scores first wins. Do you think this should be this way? Or perhaps the other way? They flip the coin, the team gets a chance, then the next team get a chance to tie, sounds better right? I wish they had enforced this rules!!!!

Yes I agree with you. I see no point in playing your starters in preseason for longer than the first quarter. Look at what happened to Vick,Pennington. Mistakes do happen,look at Bennet for the Vikes. But when there preventable in the Preseason, lay-off the starters after a few plays.

yeah, it's kinda risky. Look what happened to deshaun foster last year :(. So far all it's done is kill his career because of that one injury.

the Raiders are doing it just right.

Their key players (Rice, Gannon, Brown) only play the first 1-2 series, and are facing the other teams' starters.

Last thing you want is some damn rookie or borderline player taking a nasty hit on Rice, in order so that he can impress his coach in the hopes he will be on the team for the regular season.

Pennington should've been out of the game long time ago

I read where Edgerrin James basically tells the coaching staff anything to get out of preseason games (he's hurt, tired, sick whatever)...and no one gives him a hard time. Don't be surprised to see more of that if they don't shorten the preseason a bit...