Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

So you think speed limits should be abolished?

No.

But I think purposely trapping people is a very egregious use of police manpower.....especially for something such as "Speeding".

Speeding is not inherently wrong.

Reckless driving is wrong.

If cops want to stop people for going 80 MPH on a 55 while going from lane to lane on a busy highway....I'm all for that.

But stopping people for going on a straight line (many times in very low traffic) is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 02-06-2014 at 11:30 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Just passed a cop this evening running what I consider to be a speed trap. He was running radar right on the speed change between 25 MPH and 40 MPH on a steep uphill climb. Naturally people are going to try and get up a little speed before hitting a steep slope, but there he sits (pretty regularly) daring anyone to be doing over the speed limit before they pass that 40 MPH sign.

In a rare event, I am with JustAlex on this one. Busting someone for 5 or 6 MPH over the speed limit is a waste of time and taxpayer dollars, especially when we have a significant drug problem in our area and constant complaints of teens running the streets causing trouble. They should be on patrol, looking for more significant law breakers than someone trying to get up a little speed for an uphill slope.
    Last edited by duane1969; 02-06-2014 at 11:30 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That part about the quota is absolutely false.... Source: My father is a cop.

Hello Good Ole Jim, let me introduce myself....

I'm Alex, and I have one simple philosophy.....Logic and reason is all you need.

Do you know what I love to do in any and all discussions?

I LOVE to present evidence that correctly shows that my assertions are indeed truthful.

Now allow me to correct your incorrect statement:

http://autos.aol.com/article/police-...uotas-budgets/

http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/07/2...priorities-fir

And BTW, ticket quotas are not even as bad as THIS:

http://www.local10.com/news/Police-f...z/-/index.html

^Arrests quotas in my own backyard (Miami, FL)

So, you were saying Jim? No such thing as quotas?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jgosportscards's Items on eBay

Hello Good Ole Jim, let me introduce myself....

I'm Alex, and I have one simple philosophy.....Logic and reason is all you need.

Do you know what I love to do in any and all discussions?

I LOVE to present evidence that correctly shows that my assertions are indeed truthful.

Now allow me to correct your incorrect statement:

http://autos.aol.com/article/police-...uotas-budgets/

http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/07/2...priorities-fir

And BTW, ticket quotas are not even as bad as THIS:

http://www.local10.com/news/Police-f...z/-/index.html

^Arrests quotas in my own backyard (Miami, FL)

So, you were saying Jim? No such thing as quotas?

I'll start this off by saying this: If logic and reason are your philosophies, where have they been in your discussions?

Hey, my name is Jim, I'm a graduate of Yale University, and hold degrees in Criminal Justice, Geology, and Igneous Petrology... So please, don't even try to lecture me on logic and reason.

You found 3 articles expressing crooked police tactics Congrats, I hope your ego is feeling full.

You can find anything saying anything on the internet, welcome to the world of total interconnection. Yes, there are crooked law enforcement agencies, just like there are crooked insurance companies, doctors, businesses, and car salesman, but you're finding out what happens when they get caught. Leaks like this are bound to happen, and any agency with half a brain cell knows this, so that's why those agencies don't take part in these senseless tactics. During my research in Police Corruption and Media Influence, I took a look at such claims about police corruption, and found that less than 1% of police agencies engage in police corruption...Not to be confused with police misconduct, which entails patrol officer by patrol officer happenings. You seem to blanket these things like you're tucking a child in at night.

The way you talk, the way you claim to know logic and reason, is a contradiction to how you act on this website. First and foremost, and you'll learn this someday....To debate with nobles, you must first learn how to display the wisdom of a king. Your derogatory remarks you make daily on threads only reflects poorly on yourself, which is why you hold almost no credibility on this site. You have only yourself and your zest for said "logic and reason" to blame for it.

I could go on and on, but I feel that this will result in even more ammo to help you boost your own ego. Anyway, good luck with that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'll start this off by saying this: If logic and reason are your philosophies, where have they been in your discussions?

Hey, my name is Jim, I'm a graduate of Yale University, and hold degrees in Criminal Justice, Geology, and Igneous Petrology... So please, don't even try to lecture me on logic and reason.

If that is indeed true, then I am pleased to speak with someone of great knowledge, I don't have anything like that, my degree is in Business administration from a state college, but I do consider myself pretty logical and reasonable, I look forward to the discussion...

I especially look forward to what you have to say on religion, truth be told politics isn't my cup of tea to discuss.....however religion, that's something I'll gladly discuss for hours.

One thing though Jim, I wasn't lecturing you in logic or reason, I was simply stating my position....

You found 3 articles expressing crooked police tactics Congrats, I hope your ego is feeling full.

My ego is just fine Jim, thanks.

But you see, the point of the 3 articles is to show that it does indeed occur......you stated that it was simply untrue, and yet I easily showed that it DOES occur, and as the first article suggests, it occurs nationwide.

And I made sure to look one up from my hometown, since I am very familiar with how things are done here in Miami and I wanted to make sure to point it out.

You can find anything saying anything on the internet, welcome to the world of total interconnection. Yes, there are crooked law enforcement agencies, just like there are crooked insurance companies, doctors, businesses, and car salesman, but you're finding out what happens when they get caught. Leaks like this are bound to happen, and any agency with half a brain cell knows this, so that's why those agencies don't take part in these senseless tactics. During my research in Police Corruption and Media Influence, I took a look at such claims about police corruption, and found that less than 1% of police agencies engage in police corruption...Not to be confused with police misconduct, which entails patrol officer by patrol officer happenings. You seem to blanket these things like you're tucking a child in at night.

Indeed Jim.

Most of what you say is correct, but it doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

When I hear stories about how the police abuse their power, I don't automatically think that EVERY policeman abuses power, but I don't write it off either.

The way you talk, the way you claim to know logic and reason, is a contradiction to how you act on this website. First and foremost, and you'll learn this someday....To debate with nobles, you must first learn how to display the wisdom of a king. Your derogatory remarks you make daily on threads only reflects poorly on yourself, which is why you hold almost no credibility on this site. You have only yourself and your zest for said "logic and reason" to blame for it.

OK Jim, I want to know what derogatory remarks I have said?

Please point them out to me so I can correct them.

Because I'll also let you know that I don't like to purposely offend anyone without any good reason.

And I'm also not prideful enough as to not admit when I'm wrong.....I'll gladly admit I was wrong if I truly am wrong.

Admitting to being wrong is a good thing, not a weakness in my worldview.

I could go on and on, but I feel that this will result in even more ammo to help you boost your own ego. Anyway, good luck with that.

To be perfectly fair Jim, as I said earlier, politics is not my cup of tea....

I know full well that this isn't my strong point, although, I don't think I've said anything really bad in this thread so far.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 02-07-2014 at 01:52 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jgosportscards's Items on eBay

Alex, I apologize for last night. My grandfather passed away last night, and I took it out on the interwebs. Debates are meant to be conducted with respect and justification, neither of which were shown last night by myself. I look forward to debating in the future, and please know that such antics will not be used again.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

sorry for your loss

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

No.

But I think purposely trapping people is a very egregious use of police manpower.....especially for something such as "Speeding".

Speeding is not inherently wrong.

Reckless driving is wrong.

If cops want to stop people for going 80 MPH on a 55 while going from lane to lane on a busy highway....I'm all for that.

But stopping people for going on a straight line (many times in very low traffic) is just ridiculous.

I would say reckless driving, in and of itself, isn't "wrong" but it is dangerous. So is speeding. You can get pulled over for flashing here, but most cops won't. In fact, they call into the radio stations to warn people where they'll be themselves because, as one cop put it to me, "We want people to slow down."
    No matter how many warnings are put out, there are still some people who think they're above the law because "it's just speeding."

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm also going to point out that a large number of "real criminals" are caught for speeding, minor infractions (tail light, etc) and in speed traps and road blocks all the time.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

good point wickabee. there have been a lot of criminals caught due to minor infractions. I believe they caught the Son of Sam due to parking tickets.

On Cops, a lot of the people they take in end up getting pulled over for missing tags, speeding, not stopping at a stop sign and so on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast