Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Panini done?

SCF Rewards
    Country

As a Score collector, I hope it's not true. I don't want to switch over to OPC. Score's cards are so much nicer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    See pensfan254858's Items on eBay

A monopoly is good for no one but the people running the show.

I would say the above is 100% true, but as someone concerned about the secondary market being flooded with too many products, causing the value of cards to go down (it's quite frustrating when I bought something for a $100 a few years back, and now when I decide I want to resell it I find it's only worth 50)...maybe a monopoly wouldn't be the worst thing. Although I am only saying that based on the hope that the resale value would climb...

I am not hoping that it would be the end of Panini - not when that would mean the loss of jobs - but I would not be sad to see less products out there (unless they did something similar to ITG and still put out products, minus a license).

To keep it simple - I would love to see less products out there (with a range from low to high end) and more value and depth added to each produced. Hopefully that would mean increased secondary market value and a longer run with collectors interest (it's sad to see a product like 11/12 Contenders selling for 40 or less on some of the bigger retail outlets. This use to sell for what, 80? 100? Now you are seeing the price dropped to the point where it looks like the retailer is just trying to get rid of it; I'd have to think they can't be far off what they had to pay to get it in the first place. It's not like it's the only product to see that happen, or the only company for that matter. If that's a trend that continues, that can't be good for the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See canadacardworld's Items on eBay

I think everyone agrees that there are too many licensed and unlicensed products out there to make a healthy market. The question now then is what are the NHL and NHLPA going to do about that? Its really up to them to decide the direction the hobby will go.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

I think everyone agrees that there are too many licensed and unlicensed products out there to make a healthy market. The question now then is what are the NHL and NHLPA going to do about that? Its really up to them to decide the direction the hobby will go.

The issue here is that they are going to follow the money. Look simply at the Industry Summit changes. It went from a meeting of the sports card industry to a meeting of the 'licensed' sports card industry. Now, I'm not much of one for conspiracy theory, but look at the bottom line - ITG and Leaf are both out (manufacture unlicensed product). ITG does have a license from the CHL (not a sponsor of the Industry Summit). Panini manufacturers unlicensed baseball cards and licensed hockey (as well as others) - MLB is not an Industry Summit sponsor, but the NHL and NHLPA both are. It's not conspiracy, it's math... Businesses follow $$$.

I've said it before, if we hobbyists wait for a business to determine the direction for our hobby, we're screwed. We should really initiate a Collector's Summit and determine how to take back control of our hobby. There was a time when Beckett was a 'report' on pricing and didn't 'dictate' value. There was a time when collector's knew what they wanted and didn't wait to be told... I think we can return to that, if we're willing to make a leap or three.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fred Bear you are dead on the money here.

Brian Price

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

I love the design of the Panini cards but they haven't established a market for their cards like Upper Deck has done over a long period of time. I have great cards from all 3 companies but my favourite cards are from ITG series for my Sundin collection though the photography used or design isn't as good the bottom line is the best patch and auto cards are made by ITG. Upper Deck has made some great cards but a lot of garbage as well. I guess that goes for all the companies though. Panini has sharp designs and great brands because they own the Pacific brands. I love Crown Royale and Certified just sucks the resale value isn't more on Panini cards. They just don't compare to Upper Deck that well. Right now I've really cut back on collecting due to the cost and myself being a university student. I still want to downsize my collection some more though.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (37)
    Country

Panini needs to go bringing back sets from the 90's to relive a childhood isn't innovation. Having 5 different versions of every rookie in every set is also killing the secondary market, does Dalton Prout really need a regular, green, gold, blue, and black rc over 8 products, I think not. ITG will just never appeal to most US collectors. Why would anybody down here open Ultimate for example when Canadians can get free cards tossed in for their breaks, its not right never has been never will be. UD needs a product overhaul badly, but with that said they are the best and only option for the good of the hobby financial wise. In order for me to justify opening cases of product it has to have value, not to make $ but to resell and trade for things i want. I want the rush of cracking wax and the value its what made this hobby fun in the first place, so bring back the monopoly please.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gregmal05's Items on eBay

From what I've seen, I've come around to Panini. The refractor cards are a nice throw back, although it doesn't need to be done to the extent of 8 different variations, which is just ridiculous and unnecessary. I've always been fine with UD, so an exclusive isn't the end of the world. Panini is hit or miss, but does have some nice sets. ITG I've never seen anything worth buying. Their patch selection is phenomenal, otherwise, their products have always bored the heck out of me, particularly the photography/designs just come off as stale ala SportsKings in 2007.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In a moment of boredom today, I scrolled through my PC spreadsheet and went through all the releases since 10-11 when Panini came on the scene. For the Sedin twins...

Upper Deck has produced 202 real cards and 296 parallels
    Panini has produced 242 real cards and 566 parallels

While I like the occasional nice rainbow, the sheer amount of parallels from Panini (how many red, blue, gold, mirror red, mirror blue, mirror gold, prime, patch, signature prime, signature patch cards do we really need?) is far overdone IMO. Beyond that, I haven't had to deal with a UD redemption since the year 2000, while I've got several outstanding for 2+ years with Panini and having a tough time getting them to even answer my emails let alone give me any hint as to whether to expect to see the cards.

I like some of the neat cards that Panini has given us in Prime, but the vast glut of parallels and their inability to deal with redemptions would make me happy to go back to the UD-only days... as for ITG I love their line-up, would be cool to see them get a license to improve the variety of the photos they can use, though I love some of the unique things they can do because they aren't licensed, either way I'm sure they'll keep making fun product to break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

In a moment of boredom today, I scrolled through my PC spreadsheet and went through all the releases since 10-11 when Panini came on the scene. For the Sedin twins...

Upper Deck has produced 202 real cards and 296 parallels
    Panini has produced 242 real cards and 566 parallels

egad.jpg

UD's 148 per player is too high, frankly. The thing about it is, this is the only complaint I have with Panini. Other than the ridiculous amount of parallels, I much prefer their cards and sets.

I'm ready to become an exclusive ITG guy though.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast