Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

Question for everyone, opinions wanted

MAY have an opportunity to move all my base cards (about 8000-10000 cards) for a fair price; I'm just not sure if I should or not?

I recently cleaned up my better cards into keepers and sellers and now I have the cards I collect and all my base cards. If I sell all my base cards it will DRASTICALLY clean up my collection, saving space, and give me money lol. BUUUUUUT, it would change the way I collect cards for the rest of my life.

I have hoarded basically everything since I was a kid, and if I only have the best cards and sets I collect I'll only be one of those people who want 'hits'. Not sure I wanna do that for the rest of my love, I love cards!!

Either way, I just want thoughts.... Pros: save space, make money, it's only base cards. Cons: it's ALL my base cards, will change how I view the hobby.

Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am a little biased as I like to put sets together. However, do you ever go and look at those base cards? Or are they just sitting in boxes and you never look at them? If you look at them from time to time I would say keep them. If they are just sitting in boxes and the boxes are never opened, I would say time for them to move on.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would say they sit in boxes until I buy a box of an older product a couple years down the line then I get nostalgic; good point though, 95% of the time older sets just sit in the boxes.

SCF Rewards
    Country

i would keep the base cards. I love to look at the designs and player stats birth years and such. Keep em

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

There will come a time when you realize you've tried to collect EVERYTHING, and all you will have to show for it is no space, no money and a collection full of lower to mid-end cards to show for it. And then you'll be sad, believe me. All of the $$$ wasted on boxes and on piddly inserts or cheap jersey cards and sticker-autos could have gone towards one or two cards that I'd want to be buried with.

I've spent the last few months emptying out binders and making TurboLister files for which to sell the contents, and I'm actually happy about the thought of not being surrounded by the clutter and the insanity of trying to plug holes in player collections when I don't even care about the player! That doesn't mean all I'm aiming for are "hits" though, some of the best stuff (to me personally) in my collection.........

.......is "worthless" by most peoples' standards. It's all about what makes you happy. Just think about the future..............

SCF Rewards
    Country

love sluggo haha, keep opinions coming please! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

Im sure it took awhile to get all of these cards. Id say sell them IF you have a certain player you collect, or a certain card youd like to buy. You should be able to buy something nice and shiny selling all those base

SCF Rewards
    Country

Move them if you can, I just recently decided to get rid of my base cards aswell, didn't have as much as you but had alot of space taken up by half completed card sets, and decided enough was enough. Pulled all the Habs and a couple pc players out and organized them in a couple binders. So I went from alot of clutter that I never looked at, to a well organized collection of cards, that's easy to look at and appreciate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Over the years, I've become pretty much indifferent to the whole base/low end scene. Knowing you're in Ottawa, I'm not sure there's much you can do. CHEO and Ronald McDonald won't accept cards, at least from my experience. Shepherds of Good Hope on Murray St. accepted cards as recently as 6 months ago, so that might be worth a try.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vaughanbetts's Items on eBay

I would definitely, without a doubt get rid of them. They generally just take up space, and most of the time you can't even give them away. If someone's actually willing to give a decent price for them, I'd take it and then spend the money on a few super sexy cards that'll highlight your collection!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast