Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wasn't kidding and it was a serious answer. Maybe you should look at your approach to the hobby if this is how you truly feel. Anyways, my suggestion was a fun way to collect without concern about how much you are spending but at the same time keeping you fully involved in the hobby. It's not like I told him to buy cases of the Cup until he finishes the set! You can finish the SP Authentic FW set in about 2.5 cases, which comes out to about $2500. That is a lot for some people, but not a lot for others. Plus you'll get a good amount of that back through the other hits, so you might even make your money back this way. Don't forget the patch autos have a very big following, as due the SOTT multis and other veteran content.

My approach to the hobby is that I like to have fun, so I collect what I like. The OP was asking about a way to collect something fun, while still being able to recoup money in the long run. The rookies of the good players should continue to sell well for the foreseeable future, whereas the bad rookies won't, and you'll end up selling them for $1-2 apiece.

Edited to add: My response regarding sarcasm wasn't in response to you, but rather the other person who posted. Some people seem to hold a personal grudge and feel the need to try and start things whenever they get the chance.
    Last edited by cygnusx1; 05-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is very true. There are many "chump" rookies in these sets over the years so investment wise, it is best to only go for the top guys...but those guys change occasionally...for example, Jamie Benn went from chump to stud and it is almost impossible to find a Filatov or Josh Bailey FWA so they sell nicely. It is far more fun to build the entire set rather than pick a few players.

The Filatov and Bailey are impossible to find because they weren't all inserted into packs/were redemptions (much like Tom Wandell from 09-10) so it's not so much a case of them becoming good players and more a case of the cards being rare.

As well, for every Jamie Benn or Jonathan Quick, you have another 5-6 guys who are either out of the league or have no hobby value.

Like I said, collect what you enjoy, but the long-term value won't be there.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

The Filatov and Bailey are impossible to find because they weren't all inserted into packs/were redemptions (much like Tom Wandell from 09-10) so it's not so much a case of them becoming good players and more a case of the cards being rare.

Wrong at least for Bailey. I pulled a Bailey (Redemption) so I know they were pack inserted. Not sure about the Filatov, although I was able to find one for BV. I've since sold all the FW sets I built (05-06 through 10-11) for at least $1000 each (not counting the Ovechkin/Crosby which were separate) so there are people out there willing to pay a premium for a complete set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

Just my two cents.

Personally, if I were you, I would buy vintage cards. These will hold their value better than almost anything made today. Get them graded to protect them, and get some of the key cards over the next 5-10 years. Rookies for Sawchuk, Orr, Roy, Richard, Howe, Gretzky, etc. If you go this route, don't rule out other sports as well.

These cards will only get rarer in the next coming decades, especially high grade ones. They are going to be pricey up front, but in my opinion, hold the best chance for a better return, plus that would be an amazing collection if he decides to collect cards. Then again, it's easy for me to say this because I'm just a broke college student!
    Please check my inventory before my photobucket!!! It's more up to date!!!
    Looking for LPGA GOLFERS ​and BUFFALO SABRES
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Top Want: 2012 Leaf Metal Anna Nordqvist Award Winners Prism Gold 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wrong at least for Bailey. I pulled a Bailey (Redemption) so I know they were pack inserted. Not sure about the Filatov, although I was able to find one for BV. I've since sold all the FW sets I built (05-06 through 10-11) for at least $1000 each (not counting the Ovechkin/Crosby which were separate) so there are people out there willing to pay a premium for a complete set.

I mean that there are not 999 available for Bailey, Filatov, etc.

And are you sure you got $1000+ for 06-07? What a dud year in terms of depth.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Maybe I should have added this in the original post.

My wife and I work at the same place and thus have the same payday every two weeks. We put $100 into an education fund already for him. That is $2,600 a year and over 18 years equals $46,800. That is before the government adds their portion and before interest.

Man will he be rich compared to me having to pay for everything but such is life. Just try to make it easier for the next person.

I am just looking for a side project that we can hopefully work on together in the upcoming years.

So the investment for education is already taken care of, so there is only ONE person who can answer what hobby he would like to be involved in, your son!

Odds are if he likes hockey he will want to play, and the benefits of which far outway collecting photos of false idols. Or...he may love rugby, or computers, science, music, aviation etc etc...Whatever the case, the Best investment would be your time, and that would involve showing great enthusiasm and interest in his passion, whatever it may be.

jmho
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

I mean that there are not 999 available for Bailey, Filatov, etc.

And are you sure you got $1000+ for 06-07? What a dud year in terms of depth.

Malkin, Kessel, Kopitar, Weber, Letang, Byfuglien, Stastny, Eriksson...I think that class deserves more respect even though there are a lot of duds deeper down the list.

I had a lot of the FW's graded so the sales were slightly inflated, but anyone can do it.

You'd be shocked to see what some overseas (European) buyers will pay.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would do the future watch set. You do not need to save it for education and waste money on inflated college tuition. Many college kids attain little from college other than partying and a piece of paper. Buy some cool hockey cards and hopefully he enjoys it like you. By the time he is in college and the way the Federal Reserve continues to print cheap money the cost of college will be very expensive.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

By the time he is in college and the way the Federal Reserve continues to print cheap money the cost of college will be very expensive.

Ugh, take a look at my student loans. It's already expensive!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

I would do the future watch set. You do not need to save it for education and waste money on inflated college tuition. Many college kids attain little from college other than partying and a piece of paper. Buy some cool hockey cards and hopefully he enjoys it like you. By the time he is in college and the way the Federal Reserve continues to print cheap money the cost of college will be very expensive.

What do kids attain with no post-secondary education? A career at McDonalads?? Hey, but at least you have some hockey cards from 20 years ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast