Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: What is the future of hobby value for Ryan Smyth?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Increase in value

0 0%
  • Decrease in value

45 100.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country

As an oiler fan, he was one of the few oilers that I actually respected. He was all class on and off the ice. Although HOF is a long shot, Internationally he was a go to guy.

Unfortunately, in the hobby, if the player is inactive (retired), the number of new collectors for a player drop dramatically. People don't want what they cant watch and talk about. Exceptions of course to the significant greats of the game.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

Smyth will never make it to the Hall of Fame I am sorry to tell you.

I have all of these players/builders ahead of him.

Lidtsrom, Cherry, Pronger, Fedorov, Makarov, Kariya, Brodeur, Jagr, Alfredsson, St.Louis, Lindros, Recchi, Fleury, Andreychuk, Mogilny, Turgeon, Selanne, Housley, Roenick, LeClair, Henderson, Joseph, Martin, Tkachuk, Lowe, Weight, Larmer, Bondra, Verbeek, Konstantinov, Bellows, Clark.
    ***Yes some players are not eligible yet but once they are they will jump ahead of Ryan Smyth.

Yes I used google but their are 32 players (eight years) worth of inductions. That is also considering that I only included one builder (Cherry) and no female or international players.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

A better debate would be if Smyth would have his #94 retied by Edmonton. My vote is yes.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A better debate would be if Smyth would have his #94 retied by Edmonton. My vote is yes.

Agreed and he should, he was a great player and the face of that franchise post Gretzky/Messier.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Agreed and he should, he was a great player and the face of that franchise post Gretzky/Messier.

I hope this does not happen. Not because I don't like Smyth, and don't consider him to be one of my all time favorites on the team, but despite how brutal the team has been over the last decade - they should not lower the bar on jersey retirement just for the sake of having something to honor.

IMO - There are two things that should be on your resume to have a team retire your number: A Stanley Cup & a HOF plaque.... or be a consensus top 1-3 player in franchise history.

The Oilers have been a pathetically run team for a long while now.... but they don't need to stoop to the level of other teams, and start handing out honors for being really good, instead of reserving it for the great.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

43 - 0: That's got to be some sort of record for an SCF poll. Smyth cards going DOWN! lol

But look how we're all debating an otherwise hobby non-entity...great thread!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

43 - 0: That's got to be some sort of record for an SCF poll. Smyth cards going DOWN! lol

But look how we're all debating an otherwise hobby non-entity...great thread!

It's been a long time since I've seen agreement this strong. Let's see how far we can keep out undefeated streak going.
    Please check my inventory before my photobucket!!! It's more up to date!!!
    Looking for LPGA GOLFERS ​and BUFFALO SABRES
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Top Want: 2012 Leaf Metal Anna Nordqvist Award Winners Prism Gold 1/1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123