Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

13/14 The Cup Tomas Hertl RAP RC /99

Is The Cup losing its appeal??? When a nice 3-colors Tomas Hertl Cup RC /99 only sold for $364, less than the price of a tin... The card looks good, 50/50 centering left/right, and top/bottom with sharp corners. Pretty rare to find especially the QA/QC is so bad this year.

Here's the link...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151455870324

I don't remember the previous years Cup RC /99 ever sold for this low during initial release. It always sell high and then slowly dropped. Just seen The Cup Alex Galchenyuk RC /99 sold for $521. Heck, a Sean Monahan Redemption card sell more than that.

I'm guessing the bad centering and errors in this year Cup are turning collectors away.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The seller probably cost himself a couple hundred bucks by selling only to Canada. He won't ship to the location that Hertl plays in. Even a plain, 1 color black patch sold for $455.00. Easily goes for 200 more if the seller knows what he is doing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Every collectors have friends across the borders now... I know people in USA that will help canadians, and canadians that will help americans in the States. It will be interesting to trend new sales... maybe people are starting to run out of money from National Treasures.

I'm still waiting for the rookie shields to surface... might be able to get those cheap *fingers cross*
    Last edited by rockband; 11-03-2014 at 11:09 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I think it is more likely due to the Monday night finish, a very bad time to end an auction as it brings prices down. As well huskies3 is right, in that a lot of buyers are turned off when sellers only ship within Canada or the US, or are turned off by high shipping costs. If the seller had included the shipping in the price and ended on Thursday or even over the weekend he may of seen an increase of anywhere from 200-400 easily which would of more than paid for the shipping costs to the US with tracking and signature confirmation.

That said, I have never asked any of the people I know on here or through other means that are in the states to bid on anything for me. There are quite a lot more that don't do it than do. If you do, good on ya and scoop up the deals, me however I just move on.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am turned off by children who use "sick" and "wow" in their titles and descriptions.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There's a whole bunch of factors....

I think as some people have already mentioned: Bad listing. The description is horrible "Sick card for the prague prodigy" really??? That's how you're going to list it? I don't go crazy with my descriptions either, but that's a joke. Limiting your market (Canada only) and the Monday night thing are also problems.

Also, The Cup came out after National Treasures. Did the deep pocketed buyers have time to recover? I don't know. Maybe not the same money being spent, but it has to be a factor.

One last thing to consider: How big of a star is Hertl really? Good player, but is there honestly that much of a following for him (other than the 3 or 4 weeks that followed his 4 goal game). I mean... was he even one of the five best names last year? (I'm not trying to argue skill here, just collectability). He's a European player, in a non-Original 6 market... and doesn't have a #1 Overall Draft Pick pedigree to give him a boost.

I am surprised that the card sold that low, but I would also think that you can find much nicer versions of that card (which is where the set builders are going to spend their money) so you're left with a European player, mid-First round pick, on a Sunbelt team, without American bidders, ending on a Monday, with a bad listing, with a very mediocre 3-colour patch, being sold after collectors have already spent a wad of cash on National Treasures.

Should the price be *THAT* shocking?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

There's a whole bunch of factors....

I think as some people have already mentioned: Bad listing. The description is horrible "Sick card for the prague prodigy" really??? That's how you're going to list it? I don't go crazy with my descriptions either, but that's a joke. Limiting your market (Canada only) and the Monday night thing are also problems.

Also, The Cup came out after National Treasures. Did the deep pocketed buyers have time to recover? I don't know. Maybe not the same money being spent, but it has to be a factor.

One last thing to consider: How big of a star is Hertl really? Good player, but is there honestly that much of a following for him (other than the 3 or 4 weeks that followed his 4 goal game). I mean... was he even one of the five best names last year? (I'm not trying to argue skill here, just collectability). He's a European player, in a non-Original 6 market... and doesn't have a #1 Overall Draft Pick pedigree to give him a boost.

I am surprised that the card sold that low, but I would also think that you can find much nicer versions of that card (which is where the set builders are going to spend their money) so you're left with a European player, mid-First round pick, on a Sunbelt team, without American bidders, ending on a Monday, with a bad listing, with a very mediocre 3-colour patch, being sold after collectors have already spent a wad of cash on National Treasures.

Should the price be *THAT* shocking?

Wow. incredible post. I liked how you mentioned how big of a star is he really? Clearly, the listing was conducted poorly and the seller left $150 or more on the table. Nice insight

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks!

The Cup ARPs /99 are funny things. Collectors make a big deal about them, but truthfully not many of us collect them (we don't have the $$$) and it's a very small group of people that really chase them.

And for all the hype around the "double rookie class" how impressive was this lot? That was the wool that was pulled over collector's eye's this year. The double rookie class was VERY DEEP but it didn't have much high end talent. Mackinnon is the only really big star. This group of /99s is no better than 4th best since they've been making them, and arguably around 6th or 7th. Galchenyuk will never have the popularity he could achieve if his name were Alexandre Lapointe, or Alex Robinson..... Hertle & Nichushkin are more European players playing on sunbelt teams. They are doomed to obscurity pretty quickly (in general, in the hobby. These cards won't be obscure obviously) Yakupov has the #1 overall / Canadian Market thing to keep his popularity up.... but if it takes him 4 or 5 seasons to break out, nobody is going to care (he'll be neither new or shiny when it happens). Sean Monahan might actually be the hidden gem of the group - IMO he's got the most potential to grow as a favorite in the hobby.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I think UD goofed on the players to include (I probably would have added Huberdeau, at the expense of Hertle or Nichushkin) the choices are fine. I just don't think that the double rookie class, with all its hype, was anywhere near the boon that UD and Panini made it out to be.

Wow. incredible post. I liked how you mentioned how big of a star is he really? Clearly, the listing was conducted poorly and the seller left $150 or more on the table. Nice insight

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

He is right that Hertl does not have THAT big of a following, regardless of what sellers think. Believe me, he is my PC right now, and I've watched nearly every single auction that goes up on EBay for the past nine months or so. His nice stuff usually sells well immediately after it is released, but the money leaves quickly. It took me a while to learn that, but I have saved a LOT of money by not trying to buy right away. For instance, I got his NHL Ink Gold/25 card for $17 a couple weeks ago; I got a Prime Dual Class patch/5 for $12; etc. Two months after stuff comes out, his prices really fall. You'd be lucky to get $10 for his Young Guns card on EBay right now. I've seen really nice auto/jerseys numbered to 100 go with no bids with just a $19 opening bid.

You still have people putting up auctions with ridiculouos asking prices, but those things never sell. I have seen numerous posts for his Ice Pemieres and UD Exclusives card, asking $250-$300 or more. But they just sit there. The last Ice card at auction went for $102 and the last Exclusives card went for $51 or $52. It doesn't matter that Beckett's says they are "worth" $300. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay. And nobody is willing to pay $300 for one of his cards, unless it is one of the real star cards (NT or Cup RPAs).

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not surprised at all. Even Yakupov.... I wish I had pushed a little higher (it may be a long time to see another at this price) by the last auction I was seriously bidding on.. a nice 3 colour NT ARP /99 sold for under $200. That is not the typical asking price (if I were selling, I wouldn't auction it at all... I'd put up a BIN too) but shows how valued these cards really are sometimes.

He is right that Hertl does not have THAT big of a following, regardless of what sellers think. Believe me, he is my PC right now, and I've watched nearly every single auction that goes up on EBay for the past nine months or so. His nice stuff usually sells well immediately after it is released, but the money leaves quickly. It took me a while to learn that, but I have saved a LOT of money by not trying to buy right away. For instance, I got his NHL Ink Gold/25 card for $17 a couple weeks ago; I got a Prime Dual Class patch/5 for $12; etc. Two months after stuff comes out, his prices really fall. You'd be lucky to get $10 for his Young Guns card on EBay right now. I've seen really nice auto/jerseys numbered to 100 go with no bids with just a $19 opening bid.

You still have people putting up auctions with ridiculouos asking prices, but those things never sell. I have seen numerous posts for his Ice Pemieres and UD Exclusives card, asking $250-$300 or more. But they just sit there. The last Ice card at auction went for $102 and the last Exclusives card went for $51 or $52. It doesn't matter that Beckett's says they are "worth" $300. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay. And nobody is willing to pay $300 for one of his cards, unless it is one of the real star cards (NT or Cup RPAs).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast