Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

and there is your first mistake.

do you think they are free from bias and opinion, and just contain facts?

Historians and others argue the religious influence on Lincoln, the reasons he supported war, and much more.
    Facts and interpretation of the facts are not the same.

When it's a group of nationally acclaimed historians, who come from all political spectrums, then yes, I'd say they are more reliable than most other sources.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

In Johnsons case, in I believe 1964, but dont quote me, Barry Goldwater (remember him and the daisy ad?) only won the southern states as the southern states were against the Civil Rights Acts. The Republican platform never really changed at that point, but the Republicans in the deep south strictly voted for Goldwater because they were against the acts, which, admittingly, screwed them over in a few ways, but none so enough to not vote for LBJ, as by that point, the acts had been passed and there was no going back.

Yes I think the Civil Rights Act played a role, but my .02 is that sympathies for the Democrats due to Kennedy's assassination played as much or more of a role. LBJ certainly wasn't seen as pro-black. The Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party made a big stink at the DNC and even though they were an almost entirely black organization they refused to support LBJ against Goldwater. The idea that the election was decided along the civil rights line is a difficult one to argue. There were a lot of factors. For all intents and purposes, voters had to choose between two men who both had racist backgrounds, that is why I think sympathies of JFKs assassination were what tipped the election in LBJs favor, not because he was seen as any form of a civil rights hero.

I guarantee you that there is a documentary on the KKK and Democratic Party. That's common knowledge. Will you see it from a liberal source? No, because they are certain their party could never have been linked to such a terrible thing, so they try to pass it over to the Republican side. As for Johnson, he spied on MLK's hotel rooms. He was a segregationist and even taught in a segregated school. There are plenty of biographies on this. Wikipedia even has it. You've got this notion that everyone is out to get the Republican party. Do people hate Republicans? Yeah, and I even do sometimes. Does that mean that nothing anti-Democratic is out there? Of course not.

Actually I can't recall a documentary specifically saying the KKK had it's roots in the Democratic party, but I am sure there must be a few that at least mention it. I actually show a lot of documentaries in my class that relate to what I am teaching and I have shown several regarding Reconstruction and Civil Rights. Typically what they say is the KKK was started as a form of resistance to Republican policies, but rarely is the relation to the Democratic party clarified.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Does anyone here actually think LBJ was for minorities? Just curious....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

More like widely accepted by historians who create national college level curriculum.

Lol, that's all that needs to be said right there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Yes I think the Civil Rights Act played a role, but my .02 is that sympathies for the Democrats due to Kennedy's assassination played as much or more of a role. LBJ certainly wasn't seen as pro-black. The Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party made a big stink at the DNC and even though they were an almost entirely black organization they refused to support LBJ against Goldwater. The idea that the election was decided along the civil rights line is a difficult one to argue. There were a lot of factors. For all intents and purposes, voters had to choose between two men who both had racist backgrounds, that is why I think sympathies of JFKs assassination were what tipped the election in LBJs favor, not because he was seen as any form of a civil rights hero.

Actually I can't recall a documentary specifically saying the KKK had it's roots in the Democratic party, but I am sure there must be a few that at least mention it. I actually show a lot of documentaries in my class that relate to what I am teaching and I have shown several regarding Reconstruction and Civil Rights. Typically what they say is the KKK was started as a form of resistance to Republican policies, but rarely is the relation to the Democratic party clarified.

Yes, LBJ's push for the acts definitely came because of the assassination, and Congress basically went along with it as well. But, going back to the issue we were discussing, I do believe the civil rights act were the main reasons the southern states voted red. Now, neither of us voted in that election, so we have to base our opinions off of biased and untrustworthy sources, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I can't say I've watched a documentary entirely on the KKK, but, out of every single documentary out there, I am sure there is one that mentions the Dems. If not, I'll make one.

SCF Rewards
    Country

uh, that is exactly what he is saying Alex, the conservatives fought against these.

FACEPALM!

Look man, I'm not saying you or any conservative today necessarily believes or shares the ideology of conservatives in the past, but to say something like this is so egregiously incorrect and frustrating that it literally makes me want to pull out my hair when I hear it.

Conservatives and more importantly CHRISTIANS (NOT ALL, but MANY) not only defended slavery but were the SLAVE OWNERS!

What you are saying is nothing more than the revisionist history mentality that is going on right now by MANY conservatives who want to pretend or act as if this didn't happen.

SORRY, but we are NOT going to forget.....Slavery happened in the U.S and was perpetrated by the most disgusting and most traitorous Americans who ever lived SOUTHERN SLAVE OWNERS who were DEEPLY religious and CONSERVATIVE....they were NOT liberals, this is literally IMPOSSIBLE.

In that time, a "liberal" wouldn't even look ANYTHING like what a liberal looks today.....you were either a DEEPLY religious Conservative (like many Southerners were) or you were a moderate Conservative like many Northerners were.

And yes....read your damn bible to see how that book promotes and endorses slavery.

In fact MANY Slave Owners USED the bible as an excuse to keep slaves and to keep treating them the way they did....AGAIN, READ the book and you'll see how in said book you can pretty much mistreat your slave all you want as long as he doesn't die.

Alex-Are you calling me a racist because I a from the south and conservative? That's an awfully wide brush you have there.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm calling you!

Are you serious man?

NO, I'm not calling you a racist because you live in the South and are conservative, what you are today doesn't represent what Southern Conservatives were in the past.

HOWEVER, it is important to understand the past and learn from it, and not pretend it didn't happen.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 11-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As for your whole "Republicans are racist" angle. It's gotten old. This thread was to discuss the racist attacks by Democrats and all you have done is ignore the racism of Democrats and attack Republicans by using false accusations to avoid reality. Not once have you condemned the racist attacks by Democrats (nor has any other liberal). Not once have you done anything but attempt to distract from the racial attacks by Democrats. That tells me all I need to know.

I never even said "Republicans are racist".....I said when we look back in history it is CONSERVATIVES who have been more aligned with racism and bigotry than liberals or any other politically ideological side.

Southerners Slave Owners were Deeply religious conservatives.

The KKK was a deeply religious conservative organization.

The Neo Nazis are also a deeply religious conservative organization.

Have you ever heard of the "Southern Strategy"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

BANNED

Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (225)
    Country
    See groundsupportse's Items on eBay

Kind of ironic. Who are being held back by the Liberals today? African Americans.

Maybe you should focus on the present and not the 1830s Alex.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Alex, I can agree with some of what you are saying.

But I think, that you think, anyone who tries to better society is somehow automatically a liberal. If they were conservative before hand but they fought for social issues, they are now liberal and not conservative.

I think there have been many conservative and deeply religious people who brought huge changes to various societies, such as; MLKJ, Ghandhi, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautama, President Lincoln, and most abolitionists, they were all conservative and religious and remained so.

Pro slavery people did use the Biblical interpretations to back slavery, but the Bible was also used to back the anti-slavery movement.
    I think this is one of the main reasons you don't care for religion, every religious text can be interpreted to mean just about anything you want.

Lincoln 1859
    This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.

Lincoln 1865
    I add a word which was not in the verbal conversation. In telling this tale I attempt no compliment to my own sagacity. I claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me. Now, at the end of three years struggle the nation's condition is not what either party, or any man devised, or expected. God alone can claim it. Whither it is tending seems plain. If God now wills the removal of a great wrong, and wills also that we of the North as well as you of the South, shall pay fairly for our complicity in that wrong, impartial history will find therein new cause to attest and revere the justice and goodness of God.

SCF Rewards
    Country

But I think, that you think, anyone who tries to better society is somehow automatically a liberal.

Actually I don't.

And believe it or not Shrew, there are Progressives and Liberals I very much disagree with....in fact I oppose them as much as I oppose Social conservatives.

Feminists and radical Social Justice Warriors are the top 2 FAR LEFT lunatics that I oppose from the left.

Do you know who I DO agree with?

People who are NOT authoritarians, who understand that freedom is about allowing ANYONE to do whatever the hell they feel like as long as they are not infringing rights, and people who do NOT shove their ideology in a forcible manner at others.

This is why I very much dislike Feminists, Social Conservatives, and even radical Social Justice Warriors.

I think there have been many conservative and deeply religious people who brought huge changes to various societies, such as; MLKJ, Ghandhi, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautama, President Lincoln, and most abolitionists, they were all conservative and religious and remained so.

Jesus a conservative?

Yeah, no.

Pro slavery people did use the Biblical interpretations to back slavery, but the Bible was also used to back the anti-slavery movement.

I'm glad you can at least agree with this fact.

And yes many anti-slavery proponents also used the bible as their means.

But think about that Shrew, what does that tell you?

The Bible is highly inconsistent, filled with contradictions and can be interpreted a million different ways.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast