Advice Needed: Taking Quality Smartphone Pics?

My printer/scanner is not working at the moment.

Does anyone have any tricks to taking quality Smartphone pics? Is there a good way of doing this to showcase cards well? Lighting? Backdrops? Avoiding the dreaded shadow of me taking the pic? Phone settings?

My pics come in grainy and I'd like to continue listing and selling.

Thanks for your time....
    Looking For:
    2013-14 Panini Prizm Autos, TSC First Day Issue, Veteran Autos, Young Gun RCs, SP Authentic Auto RCs
    Full Wantlist: Hidden Content
    I like to trade to Canada/Europe, but usually send via carefully packed enforced PWE's and/or CD mailers unless I let you know otherwise.

It depends on what your phone's camera is capable of. Some cameras have white balance, macro mode and ISO settings.

Good lighting, no flash.

Hold the camera at an angle rather than straight up-and-down shots to avoid reflections and glare.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks fellas...what color/material do you guys use for a backdrop? Need something that will show the condition of the cards well
    Looking For:
    2013-14 Panini Prizm Autos, TSC First Day Issue, Veteran Autos, Young Gun RCs, SP Authentic Auto RCs
    I like to trade to Canada/Europe, but usually send via carefully packed enforced PWE's and/or CD mailers unless I let you know otherwise.

So here's how I roll:
    black leather suitcase as a backdrop
    natural sunlight from the same angle every time
    take off one touch case front (no glare)
    straight photo from the center top
    iphone 5s

photos come out like This:

My bucket:

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    It depends on what your phone's camera is capable of. Some cameras have white balance, macro mode and ISO settings.
    and what the camera's megapixel is as well.
    Trading for Steelers,Penguins,Pirates and ex Michigan players
    Hidden Content

Niice...is there a time of day? By a window? Sorry I'm terrible w photography...
    Quote Originally Posted by tuukkatime View Post
    So here's how I roll:
    black leather suitcase as a backdrop
    natural sunlight from the same angle every time
    take off one touch case front (no glare)
    straight photo from the center top
    iphone 5s

photos come out like This:

Last edited by gfel2795; 11-28-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Looking For:

tukka's got it right on...natural light is the best when you can. An enclosed patio or deck is ideal, as long as it's not dusk or dawn you should be good.
    Looking for: Sabres, Avs, and Pens. Super collecting Mikko Rantanen and Brent Burns