Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Police Not Reporting Killings To FBI

Just saw this on FoxNews. Quite an interesting article. Seems that when police kill someone they do not report it to the FBI making it impossible to accurately depict police shootings in America. We keep hearing how police shootings are rare and are almost always justified, but this report reveals that out of nearly 19,000 police agencies over 18,000 have not been reporting their shooting data.

Of the 800 agencies that reported, 2,400 shootings were documented. Using that number, it is presumable that the 18,000+ agencies that didn't report could have been responsible for over 50,000 shootings.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/03...e-report-says/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

The data would still be available and public domain, so the FBI would just have to do a little work, heaven forbid our tax dollars are used for someone to work.
    second would be how many violent crimes were committed in that time period. police shootings should not be uncommon, but police shooting innocent citizens should be.

I don't care how many people were shot by police, I care about how many innocent people were shot by the police, a big difference.

I am sure Brown's shooting will be in that data, which is a justifiable shooting.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

the same people doing the shooting are the same people investigating the shooting are the same people deciding if it was justified or not

judge,jury and executioner is not what im looking for out of a peace officer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

There are Criminal Investigation Divisions that investigate every shooting and or use of force in law enforcement. Now not saying a blind eye is not always turned but these folks investigate.I can tell you first hand the CID that deals with my correctional facility not a one investigator has been a corrections officer.It goes both way though because some might not know what the day gto day dealings an officer has.
    the same people doing the shooting are the same people investigating the shooting are the same people deciding if it was justified or not

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The data would still be available and public domain, so the FBI would just have to do a little work, heaven forbid our tax dollars are used for someone to work.

The issue for me is these same agencies are reporting when citizens shoot citizens, so it isn't that much of a stretch for them to report officer shootings. All shootings are a matter of public record. That isn't an excuse in my opinion.

The issue for me is the lack of disaggregation of information. When issues like the Michael Brown shooting occur we hear how rare police shootings are, but in reality they may be much more common than we are led to believe. Justifiable or not, it is information we should have access to.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

not even close to being true.