Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Purchased a card on COMC then had them send it to BGS.

Has anyone purchased cards on COMC and then had COMC submit them to BGS for grading? I'm curious as to what types of grades they received. I recently purchased 2 cards on their site and then paid them to submit the cards to Beckett for grading. They charged $14.25 per card which is not terrible for those of us in Canada. Also, they will upload photos of the cards and put them on the site. I'm hoping that when the card returns to COMC that I can take advantage of their $3.00 shipping to Canada offer. I figure between the cheaper shipping and the fact that I probably will not have to get hit by crazy insurance charges/duty that I should save a few bucks. Neither card is extremely expensive (about $35 each?).

I also like the fact that COMC offers pretty decent scans of the cards and then offers to do the legwork for you. If there was a BGS submission group for Canada on SCF I would probably have waited. Anyhow, if anyone has had any experience with the COMC submissions to BGS I'd appreciate hearing your feedback.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I have never done this but it would definitely save you money for those of us in Canada/Europe. The only problem I feel is that when choosing which cards are gradable I need the card in hand and will look at the corners and edges with a jewelers loupe. I would be weary about the cards I buy on COMC to send to BGS but I hope all goes well for you and keep us informed on the grades it receives.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I wouldn't do it personally either.

If I can't hold and inspect the card personally I wouldn't send it in. Comc does have nice scans of all the cards for sale on their site but scans don't always show everything, there could easily be a slight surface flaw or a weak corner that doesn't show in the scan. Back on the surface flaws, one of the easiest ways to get a grade knocked down is finger prints or slight smudges on the surface of a card which is why I and many other submitters make sure to gently clean the front of a card off with a lens cloth, does Comc do that for you when the submit or do they just pull it from their inventory and just send it out?

Another reason I wouldn't go with a Comc Beckett submission is the legal troubles with Comc and Beckett. Back at the begging of 2014 Beckett and Comc were business partners but the two of them experienced some turbulence in their relationship which led to Beckett pulling out and demanding Comc to take all of their information and checklists and card infos off Comc which is why some cards still have wrong names and missing info on Comc. As a result I believe they are still fighting it out in court, Beckett is suing Comc and Comc I believe has a counter-suit on Beckett. With all of that I would imagine Beckett still has some sour grapes towards Comc and maybe will hold a slight bias on cards sent from Comc to be graded (Thats just my opinion take it for what its worth).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Interesting points guys, thanks for the information. The cards I purchased were PC items so I was intending to have them graded no matter what (they are short print autos). If they come back as 8.5 or 9 that's the breaks. Anything 9.5 or better is pure gravy.

Hopefully COMC uses a pseudonym when submitting to Beckett lol ....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well got the cards back .... success! Both cards graded BGS 9.5, one with a 9 auto and one with a 10 auto.

Here are the before and after scans.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I guess that BGS and COMC must have made up and become friends again. They have the BGS logo posted on the grading submission page, something I don't think Beckett would allow if they were truly still bitter towards each other.

Regardless I got what I wanted, another sweet card to add to the PC!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I heard about the Beckett lawsuit on COMC through the baseball forums some time ago. No idea what happened with that case.

But well done! I was worried for you lol. Marks of Distinction are great cards so that was a wise move for you. Congrats.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I heard about the Beckett lawsuit on COMC through the baseball forums some time ago. No idea what happened with that case.

But well done! I was worried for you lol. Marks of Distinction are great cards so that was a wise move for you. Congrats.

I heard about the problems on other sites as well but nothing brings friends together like cold hard cash I guess. I'm surprised they haven't offered a similar service using PSA. Lots of graded card submitters use PSA, especially for large bulk orders.

These cards were PC items anyways, so if they came back 8.5 or 9, I'd still be ok. The fact that they both came 9.5 was icing on the cake. I only wish both autos returned as 10 but I'm really pleased overall, especially without getting a personal view of the cards first.