Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good boxes to buy for your first time?

The GF is looking to get into card collecting. Im a newbie and don't want to steer her in the wrong direction. So in your opinion what is a good box to break for your first time without spending a ridiculous amount of money?

2. SCC - Feb 2018
    I think UD S1/S2 is a great way to start off collecting

For good player selection and price go with O-pee-chee.

I second O-pee-chee, it's a marvelous entry level product and it's also one of the cheapest. Don't expect to pull an auto out of every box, though, they're pretty rare.
    If you're looking to start her with autographs and whatnot right out the blue, go for cheaper years like 11-12 and 12-13. You can get decent boxes with autographs, jerseys, patches for between $50-$75.
    Looking for: Jean-Gabriel Pageau (Main PC), Erik Karlsson (Secondary PC)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Next years Series 1...

But until then my vote is 13-14 Rookie anthology.

you get two "insert" cards per pack (Rookie cards/base updates/jersey cards/auto'ed cards/jersey autos/patch autos)

and it is rare to have a box that doesnt have a very nice hit in it.

When i started i was pointed towards Score and O-Pee-Chee. I never personally liked either product. I moved to Artifacts which for a first time collector was great. Got a mix of jersey, patch, and auto cards with a rookies and Inserts as well.
    Rookie Anthology (13-14) Gives lots of hits at a great price point. S1 and S2 is good unless Autos are your thing then they are virtually non existent,
    Its all collecting preference, some people like autos, some rookies, some sets, once you know that then you can fine tune choices.
    Good luck

Thanks for the input everyone! She looked at a few boxes online and is leaning towards Artifacts so far.

I would say if she is looking towards Artifacts for the same price point roughly you are better off paying a bit extra and buying cheaper years of higher end product. Like SP Authentic is a great product to hit hard signed autos and you get really nice base,inserts,numbered in EVERY BOX, PLUS YOU GET 3 autos which will all be hard signed and you have a good chance always at hitting something big.

$100 you can get 11-12 or 12-13 SPA boxes and it will be very fun to open especially since the spa set has the best base and inserts out of any set EVERY YEAR!

She had her mind pretty set on the Artifacts and that's what she ended up getting. Thanks for the input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast