Thread: Grading a grading company.....

Grading a grading company.....

I've never heard of gem grading services, only ksa,psa and beckett......i bought a gretzky rookie a while back......the card looked like in pretty good condition....gem graded the card 10.....obviously, not a beckett 10......i can't seem to load the pic up, as it sez I've exceeded my ????,to show the card.....but with someone experienced with gem grading, how far off is gem grading compared to psa or beckett?...i was told it was a 8.....i know there's smart experienced people here that's got the low down on gem...

From what I've read, GEM is not legitimate grading company like PSA, BGS, KSA and SCG. It's just 1 man operation who slabs everything under the sun to 'elevate' the value of the card. They've also been known to slab counterfeit. If I were you, I would bust it out of its holder and get the gretzky graded/authenticated by one of the above companies. My preference would be PSA because of their reputation with vintage.
    Collecting:
    Vintage PSA Rookies of star players (80s, 70s, 60s, 50s...)
    site: Hidden Content

Would you rely on a ksa grade? I see lots of them on ebay for less than bvg and psa grades. I have no experience with them and want to get a high end gretzky rookie..just want a high end grader to have looked at it first. ..lol..thanks

I would get that card out now and have a good look at it. GEM grading is not a reputable company and should never be relied upon when purchasing anything more than a novelty card for a friend. In all seriousness, if you want to purchase a vintage graded card go with PSA, if you want modern, then go to Beckett. Just my two cents!

Good luck.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut and
    Young Guns graded BGS 9.5.

When I bought the card.....thinkin back in 1998....beckett wasn't grading yet......soooooo.......psa is the way?....i have other rc's I would like to grade.....and would psa grade a poster size pic? ......thx for giving some good advice and reviews....

Not sure about poster sized pics but again I would stick to PSA for anything prior to 1990 and Beckett for anything after that. Others may disagree but if you're debating which company to go with do your research and check completed sales of the cards on eBay to gauge some idea of how the marketplace values each grading company.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut and
    Young Guns graded BGS 9.5.