Pitt Finally Got Its New Basketball Coach

Jamie Dixon, the Pitt 1st assistant under Ben Howland has been given the knod. Although I would have loved to see Calipari get the job, he was never really even mentioned. Dixon has no prior head choaching experience and was passed over by 3 mid-major schools for head coaching positions earlier.

That being said, I think in the end Dixon was the right choice. He's the main recruiter so his promotion pretty much assures that all 4 top recruits will be in a Panther uni next year. It also gives him more pull with the guys he's been recruiting from last year who are juniors in HS with a couple of them being 5-star recruits. Hell, it's easy to replace a coach if he doesn't do well, but if you don't get your recruits, there's no turning back so in the end I think Dixon was a good choice.

2. Kronozio
    Iggy...

I don't know how Howland did it, but he just got a non-binding oral agreement from one of the top point guards in the West high schools.

Of course, it helped that the player, forgot his name, grew up wanting to play for UCLA.

Originally posted by podstock
    Iggy...

I don't know how Howland did it, but he just got a non-binding oral agreement from one of the top point guards in the West high schools.

Of course, it helped that the player, forgot his name, grew up wanting to play for UCLA.
    UCLA in the west is just as easy to recruit as UNC is in the east. Should get a ton of good recruits as that's not the problem UCLA has to go through. I'm waiting to see how these players at UCLA who are all used to dominating the offense and not really playing D will fare in Bennie's system.

hey,

I am all for whatever Bennie wants.

I've seen us this year play "ole" defense, much like a bullfighter avoids a bull; and my Bruins did a great job of it, lolol.

If it takes playing tough defense or sitting on the bench, that's great!

We've had awesome talent these past few years (quite a few McDonald's All-American), and they've been as successful as you or I.

In fact, when point guard Cedric Bozeman came here last year, I thought he was gonna be the second coming of Baron Davis. Well, it's 2 years now, and he'd be lucky to hold Baron's jock strap.

I hope Pitt can keep competing in the Big East. It's good to see new teams get involved in conference championships.