SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shawn113737's Items on eBay

1998-99 Hoops Starting Five. SUPER RARE! Better than PMG?

I just stumbled onto a couple eBay listings of 1998-99 Hoops Starting Five cards because I'm getting close to completing my pre-retirement Dennis Rodman collection and was looking for one myself.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

I'm wondering - has anyone here ever owned or currently own one of these?
    I found out there is A LOT of controversy around these after souring the web. Looks like fakes have come up more than the real thing over the past few years.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these!

Stockton - look closely at the stamp...looks fake to me
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Stockton-Very-Rare-Hoops-Starting-Five-3of5-/191814108250?hash=item2ca903045a%3Ag%3Am3cAAOSwWTR W0EHt&nma=true&si=kcHjGyTYH5vnr6h0fnBiVwt90Lk%253D &orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Kobe - after some extensive research, I believe this one is a fake as well. Always thought BGS was pretty trustworthy, but maybe not...
    Most obvious difference is the look of the numbers, specifically the 5.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBE-BRYANT-1998-99-HOOPS-STARTING-FIVE-5-BGS-9-5-GEM-MINT-POP-1-/271770078650?hash=item3f46c24dba:g:7twAAOSwYGFU2ET H

SCF Rewards
    Country

Steer clear of these cards there has been some seller from Taiwan pumping out these fakes like crazy

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think they are better just because the PMG cards get all the hype and interest. Plus I've yet to come across a fake PMG (though I haven't been paying attention lately). They are much harder to find but I don't think they will ever be as popular as the PMG cards.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think they are better just because the PMG cards get all the hype and interest. Plus I've yet to come across a fake PMG (though I haven't been paying attention lately). They are much harder to find but I don't think they will ever be as popular as the PMG cards.

here is one for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBE-BRYANT-...&ul_noapp=true

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Raptors
    See alexmovel's Items on eBay

Wow I wonder how much someone paid for this. I wonder what the best offer was.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shawn113737's Items on eBay

Wow I wonder how much someone paid for this. I wonder what the best offer was.

Looks like it's back up for $5950 @movel23

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBE-BRYANT-SUPER-RARE-GREEN-REFRACTOR-PRECIOUS-METAL-GEMS-1-OF-1-LAKERS-/262342831264?

Those are ridiculous looking cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

Wait, so that Kobe green PMG is a fake? Wow. Who/what is Masuno?

SCF Rewards
    Country

There are tons of fake Starting 5's out there. You have to be very careful with them. I used to have some good pics of the serial numbers and when you see them up close you can spot the fakes. To me, the starting 5's are down the list pretty far when it comes to 90's inserts. They are brutally tough to find but aren't that great looking. PMG's, Playmakers Theatre, Rubies, Grand Finale, and Embossed Gold Refractors are superior. That is all my opinion but to each their own.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is that a 2014 one? The front of the card says 2014 and I was talking about the 90s PMG. I know other 90s stuff has been faked but I haven't seen a 1990s PMG faked yet. Maybe they have but I wouldn't know. I also couldn't tell anything about newer basketball cards as I stopped that stuff in 2000. But I do know that out of all the sports basketball stuff sees way more fakes than the rest combined because of the international interest.