Smile possible pickup question!! HELP

I have an opportunity to buy a box of football rookies from the 80s. Total bv is about $680. The guy wants $175. I am thinking about counter offering, but have never really dealt with these cards before. There are a lot of diff cards of stars... What do you guys think is a GOOD deal to buy this lot. There isn't really much "junk" mixed in. All pretty much star type players.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

All depends on who is in there. If it's guys like Rice, Marino, Elway, Sanders, etc, then I'd go for it. But if it's not the big names, I'd pass. Even the big stars only sell 1/2 book or so.
    For instance, I just sold well over $2,000 Bv of stuff for 15%.
    Any idea of who is in there?

Quote Originally Posted by azlatin5
    I have an opportunity to buy a box of football rookies from the 80s. Total bv is about $680. The guy wants $175. I am thinking about counter offering, but have never really dealt with these cards before. There are a lot of diff cards of stars... What do you guys think is a GOOD deal to buy this lot. There isn't really much "junk" mixed in. All pretty much star type players.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
    If he has some decent pics and you can tell the conditions and they look to be in good shape then I would offer him $125 depending on what the S/h is. If he rejects it atleast you can go up from there.

with the exception of marino/elway/montana/rice and 89 score stuff, there isn't much else with a great value...the only other rookies with a BV of $20 or more are lott, LT, reggie, and young....there are a few other nice cards (allen, dickerson, simms, MONK, GREEN, moon) but nothing that has alot of cash value (personally i love this kind of stuff, but mainly cause you can still find it cheap!!)....another BIG problem is it is getting harder and harder to find this stuff in MINT condition!! i only buy if they are, and most often they aren't!! that would be my biggest concern with this lot, the condition!!

He is a local guy and I am going to see all of the cards on Monday. My buddy who is a dealer knows this guy and says he takes excellent care of his stuff. My buddy said he would buy it, but he already has a lot of that stuff...
    I'll get back to you all and let you know what happens.
    thanks a ton for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Good luck with that. Remember that the stuff from the 80's and 90's were waaaay over produced that's one reason the card companies have made the changes this year, so some stuff may still have a ton of cards out there (there are still alot of unopened boxes from these years out there). If you like the stuff, by all means get it - maybe you can use some of this info to bargain with.....
    Quote Originally Posted by azlatin5
    He is a local guy and I am going to see all of the cards on Monday. My buddy who is a dealer knows this guy and says he takes excellent care of his stuff. My buddy said he would buy it, but he already has a lot of that stuff...
    I'll get back to you all and let you know what happens.
    thanks a ton for the feedback! I really appreciate it!