Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This is why e-packs work for me

I was at Dave & Adams Upper Deck Draft Party on Thursday. Of course, I purchased a couple of boxes of Upper Deck product. The one product I was determined to buy was a hobby box of UD Series 2. At $56 a box, the chase for a Eichel YG (Still!) and some other inserts, I figured it was worth a gamble.

After opening the cards, I had a box full of base cards I didn't need, one non-double Young Gun (no Eichel) and a few other duplicate inserts, or inserts that I don't collect.

Now, I have been buying a few packs here and there on UD's e-pack site. Over time, I have probably purchased enough UD Series 2 e-pack to pay for a box and a half of UD Series 2 at the $56 price point. But the fun I have been having in instantly trading away duplicate YGs, OPC Retro Rookies, and Canvas for Sabres Canvas, Sabres OPC and other YGs that I need has been so much fun that I don't mind the $11.97 or $19.95 I have spent here and there on packs. I groan when I pull doubles or something I don't collect, like Canavas cards, just like I do when I open a physical box, but then I immediately check my list and start looking at who has what I need and who would make for a good trading partner.

I've said all along that I like completing a base set. They just sit and I never look at them again, but the collector in me enjoys finishing a set. That will always keep me going back to the LCS to buy a box of cards. But once I complete my set, I don't ever need to see another base card for that set. Ever. But beyond not having to deal with extra base cards, I am really enjoying the trading. Trade smart and you can get what you want at fair value. And when someone wants something ridiculous? Decline and move on!

Maybe the fun is that I don't trade. I have a bunch of YGs sitting here that will sit here forever. I just never got into the hassle of dealing with trading physical cards. The mailing, the waiting, the sometimes bad dealings with people... just not my thing. But if I had these as e-cards? I'd be wheeling and dealing and would probably have close to a full set of 15/16 UD Series 2 YGs. I just find it to be a lot of fun.

I don't think e-packs will kill the market. If I was smart, I would probably just buy a box of UD Series 2 for $89.99. I probably have come close to doing so in individual pack purchases anyway. But knowing I can get a box for $56 locally makes that a tough pill to swallow in one purchase. But I get why people do it, especially if you are guaranteed to get one transferable card per pack like the individual packs (which is better odds than the physical box). And a chance to turn base cards into something more (foil base). But I still enjoy going to the LCS and getting a new release in my hands. And building my physical base sets too. I don't think I am alone in that.
    Last edited by TRDouble; 06-25-2016 at 12:43 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Maybe you could start trading physical cards online? With the feedback system, it's pretty safe here. You can start with small deals with US collectors, and see how you like it.

For me, it's a major part of the fun of collecting. Packaging a lot of cards I don't like that much, and a little bit later, getting these sets fillers and Habs cards in the mail. :)
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content