Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Chicago Bears Atlanta Braves San Antonio Spurs
    See brandon15marshall's Items on eBay

Picked up a card I wanted since I heard it existed.

This is the famous 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt #702 that was made with a black box on the back and was replaced by card #702 Rookie Threats (DeLino DeShields/Marquis Grissom/Larry Walker). UD never explained why it had a black box on the back. This card was super short print and a few were inserted in early packs. I had seen pictures and 1 or 2 sell here and there over the years pulling big bucks. I picked this one up a super good deal. The guy didn't list it all that well. I am a huge error collector in FB/BB/and Basketball and always love adding rare items. Thanks and enjoy.

Mike Witt #702

w/ the replacement card

Last edited by 34BoJackson16; 07-08-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    Super Collecting Brandon Marshall, Greg Salas, Mike Davis. Collecting Roy Williams WR, Ottis Anderson, Mike Alstott.
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was always under the impression that the big black box was on the card so it could easily be identified by people to remove it from the baseball card to pack chain if you will. Not sure if that is correct or not but other cards by Upper Deck that were suppose to be removed from packs over the years do have weird and big stamps on them so they are easier to tell from the regular cards.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

I was always under the impression that the big black box was on the card so it could easily be identified by people to remove it from the baseball card to pack chain if you will. Not sure if that is correct or not but other cards by Upper Deck that were suppose to be removed from packs over the years do have weird and big stamps on them so they are easier to tell from the regular cards.

You are probably right. Sounds right.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Eagles
    Twitter: @docsobolatin See Scobes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Neat card!

Scobes
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content
    Baseball - Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Mark Sobolewski, Vintage, Set Needs & Phillies (in PHI uniform)
    Hockey - Valeri Kamensky, Chris Bala, Bob Kudelski, Patrick Rissmiller, & Autos/#ed/Base cards of Flyers (in PHI uniform)
    Football - 1950-60s Vintage & Eagles Autos Golf - Tiger Woods Basketball - 76ers Autos & Low-Numbered
    ABSOLUTELY NO INTERNATIONAL TRADING!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Los Angeles Dodgers Anaheim Angels Los Angeles Lakers
    See desertdogg2006's Items on eBay

would love to here the story on why the card was replaced in the 1st place.
    collecting rookies auto game used of hall of famer or retired players all sports.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

would love to here the story on why the card was replaced in the 1st place.

There is some good info on the card here:

https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/20...ike-witt-702a/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've heard of the Witt card, totally forgot about it. Awesome find! A very sp card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice find, I have been looking for it myself, but need to find at the right price.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

I've heard of the Witt card, totally forgot about it. Awesome find! A very sp card.

Thank you.

Nice find, I have been looking for it myself, but need to find at the right price.

There have been a few surface on the Bay recently and prices were not that bad.