Thread: Event Used Jersey Cards

Event Used Jersey Cards

I received a card that was listed as a game used jersey card, but when I received the card the back listed it as event used. I went through some of my other recent additions and found a couple (mostly from Contours) to be event used. Is there a way to tell from checklists whether the set will contain event used? I don't want to waste the money on a piece of jersey that was worn at a photoshoot and not a game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

As far as I know, there probably isn't a way you can tell from checklists. Card companies would rather not have to admit anything about "event-used" cards, so they wont go out of their way to make it known. But if you see a card you like, look on EBay for other listings, and maybe one person will list it with pictures of both sides of the card. Usually they are all the same, unless there are rookies and vets in the same subset. You can almost be assured in this day and age that any rookie cards are going to be event-used. It is only the extremely rare occurrences where a rookie card is game-used, simply because the cards are being made before the game-used jerseys become available. (This is assuming the card you want is an NHL card and not using minor league jerseys, of course.) Even premier cards like "The Cup" are not all game-used.

SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

As mentioned above rookies are almost always "event-used". Once their second year stuff comes out it will almost always be "game-used". A lot of retired guys will have old-timer jerseys as well. The only way to tell is with the eye test. If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. It took me a little while at first to be able to tell the diference, but now I trust my gut 100%. And be careful...when Upper Deck says "used in an official NHL game" on the back, their definition of official NHL game may differ from yours. An NHL sponsored old timers game may count to them, but not me.

Last edited by subban7677; 08-26-2016 at 06:22 PM.

4. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky94 View Post
    Even premier cards like "The Cup" are not all game-used.
    So what's driving the value of Cup RPAs if they were jerseys worn once and never on the ice?

Quote Originally Posted by rj92795 View Post
    So what's driving the value of Cup RPAs if they were jerseys worn once and never on the ice?
    The limited amount produced, the high-end factor, and arguably the top staple rookie cards for any player. But it all depends on the collector. Many sets out there have just as much attributes (a patch/auto like the cup RPA's, for example) and can be had for much less than The Cup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Last edited by creasecollector; 08-26-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

Quote Originally Posted by creasecollector View Post
    But it all depends on the collector. Many sets out there have just as much attributes (a patch/auto like the cup RPA's, for example) and can be had for much less than The Cup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
    Exactly. The Cup has just become the accepted Gold Standard that all others judge themselves by. Take UD Exclusives vs. MVP Gold Script, for example. Each is limited to just 100 copies (until this year...), but Exclusives will carry a higher price than Gold Script any day of the week because collectors accept UD as a higher value set. They are more of a staple in people's collections, and therefore the demand is higher, while the supply is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky94 View Post
    Exactly. The Cup has just become the accepted Gold Standard that all others judge themselves by. Take UD Exclusives vs. MVP Gold Script, for example. Each is limited to just 100 copies (until this year...), but Exclusives will carry a higher price than Gold Script any day of the week because collectors accept UD as a higher value set. They are more of a staple in people's collections, and therefore the demand is higher, while the supply is the same.
    Aside from the YG exclusives i'd have to disagree here. Most of the time the gold scripts sell for more in my opinion. A big problem with what you're saying is how much of the product is broken. I'd say there are conservatively 5 times as many box breaks of series 1 as there are of MVP (probably many more). So while there are 100 of each, 70-80 of the Exclusives will see the light of day while maybe 40-50% of the gold scripts will. I've always been able to get a good amount for gold script cards.

The jersey card novelty is worn off on me. I'd rather have an actual jersey instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    The jersey card novelty is worn off on me. I'd rather have an actual jersey instead.
    Same here, and I've never felt comfortable with the swatches actually being game used.

How about this example for a win? I don't even know what they are guaranteeing
    Attached Images Attached Images