Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Anxiety Preventing Me From Writing Letters

    Hi. I'm sorry to post this, but I was hoping someone could guide me along a bit (via PM) until I get over this irrational fear. I suffer from depression and severe anxiety and decided recently to take up autograph collecting as a hobby...a means of distraction. I did it as a little kid, so I figured there shouldn't be any problem. But there is. My anxiety's getting in the way of writing letters. I've got all of my supplies (envelopes, baseballs, cards, stamps, 8x10s, etc.) all ready to go, but then I get to the letter and my chest starts to hurt. I don't know if any of you suffer anxiety issues, but it's not fun. I know what I want to say, but I don't seem to be able to write it. This has been going on for more than a week now and it's really frustrating. And it's ironic because I hoped it would lessen my general anxiety. Anyway, I was wondering if someone was willing to sort of walk me through a letter or two just to get me over the hump. It'd mean a ton to me. Again, I'm sorry I'm posting this

  2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
  3. #2
    PM coming
    WTTF 1965 Topps Pete Rose #207, 1989 UD KGJr. #1, 1994 UD SP A-Rod #15. Condition doesn't matter too much to me.

    I sporadically graph the Hillsboro Hops and this year the new Portland Pickles! I need 7 more trade completed so I can offer 50/50's (legitimately)

  4. #3
    Oh this is interesting... All my letters are very short and to the point and maybe 3 or 4 sentences max. I hope you get the help you need.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Mario
    Buying Quincy Carter GUs and Autos


  5. #4
    Thanks Mario and grifnutz! The 3-4 sentence thing does ease some of the pressure. Grifnutz is gonna read over a letter I'm gonna send out. And I also just received my first success on the only thing I sent out...and it was a biggie! You'll see in another thread because I started one about it so now I need to answer the question :)

  6. #5
    Hello, about 2 years ago after a divorce I didn't want I started suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks. For a while I was at the ER every other week because I thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor actually told me to take up a hobby as means of distraction so I to came back to autograph and memorabilia collecting. Writing the letters has always seemed to relax me because it keeps my mind focused. My letters are usually a page long and consist of four paragraphs. First paragraph = greeting, a little bit about why I like them and what I like/liked about there career. Second paragraph = a little bit about myself and how collecting is helping my condition. Third paragraph = What I've sent and how Id like it signed. Fourth paragraph = thanking them for there time and possible signature. I hope you have some good successes and let me know if there is anything I can help with.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    Hello, about 2 years ago after a divorce I didn't want I started suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks. For a while I was at the ER every other week because I thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor actually told me to take up a hobby as means of distraction so I to came back to autograph and memorabilia collecting. Writing the letters has always seemed to relax me because it keeps my mind focused. My letters are usually a page long and consist of four paragraphs. First paragraph = greeting, a little bit about why I like them and what I like/liked about there career. Second paragraph = a little bit about myself and how collecting is helping my condition. Third paragraph = What I've sent and how Id like it signed. Fourth paragraph = thanking them for there time and possible signature. I hope you have some good successes and let me know if there is anything I can help with.
    I cannot tell you how much this post means to me. Seriously, I thought I was alone in taking on this hobby in order to help deal with depression/anxiety.

  8. #7
    When I was at my old job I had a generic form letter typed up and I just cut and copied the ballplayer's address from here. I did this because I have terrible handwriting. I'm not sure of your situation but try that to see if that works for you.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #8
    zooiiks - how have you been doing ? I have sent out quite a few baseballs lately to a HOF'ers.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    zooiiks - how have you been doing ? I have sent out quite a few baseballs lately to a HOF'ers.
    Thanks for asking. I've been doing a lot better. I've gotten into a groove. Sending these things out are really helping distract my mind. Who'd you send balls out to? I'm anxiously waiting for 4 of them: Goose, Mussina, Kershaw and James Earl Jones

    The waiting is the hardest part

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zooiiks View Post
    Thanks for asking. I've been doing a lot better. I've gotten into a groove. Sending these things out are really helping distract my mind. Who'd you send balls out to? I'm anxiously waiting for 4 of them: Goose, Mussina, Kershaw and James Earl Jones

    The waiting is the hardest part
    I sent to Goose and Rollie and have gotten them back already. Ones Ive sent that I'm still waiting on are Boggs, Martin Sheen, Sandberg, Bunning, Sutton, and Doerr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About SCF

    Sports Card Forum provides sports and non-sports card collectors a safe place to discuss, buy, sell and trade.

    SCF maintains tools that will allow collectors to manage their collections online, information about what is happening with the hobby, as well as providing robust data to send out for Autographs through the mail.

Follow SCF on