SCF September Member Message and Update

Members -

There has been a number of items that have been ongoing with SCF over the last month-6 weeks or so. Some, noticeable, some not at all. I want to address everything that has been going on, so get your ready for a long post.

1) Sport Forum Structure Changes
    Over the last month or so, we have been slowly uniforming all of the sport forums on SCF and consolidating were appropriate. Some of the changes have been made per suggestions by members I have spoke with at Expo and Nationals this year, some from suggestions made by members via PM, posts, surveys, etc. Please note, these are not the only changes that will be coming, there will be more coming.

Once all of the sport forums have been updated, we will evaluate and see what tweaks need to be made. 2 tweaks we are already looking at is links to the sub-forums from the main page and renaming the forums/rebuilding the talk sub-forums.

2) Non-sports Card Forum
    Good news / bad news - The bad news is that the database was corrupt, making it unusable to bring over to SCF. However the good news is that we will start adding forums to the NSCF Main tab over the next week. @palantri will be helping Roger and I on this effort but I will be looking for suggestions and ideas for this as well.

Additionally, there might be some forums that exist already that might move from the SCF Main Forums Tab to the NSCF Main Forums tab (nothing has been determined yet).

Ultimately, this is a blank canvas and any suggestion is a good suggestion.

3) Whats happening in my personal world
    Some of you know this, most do not. SCF is no where close to my main source of income. I currently work for a Software Firm in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. Since early June, I have been on a project that is on an extremely tight timeline as it relates to deliverables. This project is consuming at minimum 10 hours a day in the office during the week and up to another 10 on the weekend. This project if it was only another 2-4 weeks, I probably could work around this. However, this project is set for another 2-4 YEARS with escalated timelines (the joys of building out a product from scratch).

This really left me with a decision about the direction of not only my career, but also the future of SCF. I will not be a dormant owner, I would rather look to sell SCF if this would be the case. However, about 5 weeks ago, I was approached by my old boss about coming back as the manager of a global software training team (my same role when I left in December). Initially, it didn't look like it was going to happen as I asked for the moon on a dollar amount, but on Friday night there was an acceptance of my terms and I am awaiting the paperwork.

What does this mean? If I do sign the paperwork and onboard, I will be working from home when I am not travelling. This role does require me to be on the road 9-14 days a month. However, I would be working from 8:30 to 4:30 most days, which will give time to work on the site. If I stayed where I am now, this would not be practical. I am doing this move for 2 reasons

1) Lifestyle/Family (I barely see Becky and Olivia and I'm "home")
    2) I BELIEVE SCF can get back to its popularity in the early part of the decade.

Additionally, this transition will allow for --->

3a) Inventory Manager Rebranding
    One of the areas that more and more members are using the SCF Inventory Manager. I am happy to announce that I have purchased a new domain that we will start to use for the Inventory Manager. Going forward, I will refer to the Inventory Manager as Trading Card Catalog powered by SCF.

The domain will be tradingcardcatalog.com.

There are a number of reasons for this, the biggest is to create a bit of separation between SCF and TCC. I want people to be able to look for items on the web and discover TCC, which in turn, will allow for discovery (or rediscovery) of SCF. I am still in the early phases of planning and there are a lot of variables that I need to think about.

The timeline that I would like to have TCC up and running by is January, 2017. What this is going to look like, needs to be defined.

3b) SCF Meet and Greet Nights
    Because of the impending job change and traveling for the job, I will be looking to start SCF Meet and Greet nights. This could be at a hobby store, a restaurant, etc. I have a potential schedule for October and it appears San Antonto/Schertz, TX is first stop followed by Salt Lake/Logan, UT. I want to make this a trading event as well as a discussion event (and maybe other ideas - see SCF TV).

As I get the schedule locked in, I will look to members to see where we can hold these events. The one area that will not have an "official" meet and greet will be the Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY area. I will look to events in the area to crash!

4) Front End
    Over the next 4-6 weeks, there will be front end added to SCF. This is still in design, but I hope to feature original article content from the SCF Writing Team as well as guest writers. The goal of the front end is to provide all of the article content on the front page, have links to shows, checklists from TCC, etc available from the front-page.

@Pheebs888 and I have started an initial brainstorm for a writing contest. Look for this in October/November.

5) SCF TV
    Earlier in the summer I mentioned the potential of having a regular podcast called SCF TV. I am still in the planning stages of doing this, but I would like to have a plan to launch this around the start of the NBA season (1st week of November). The structure, format, topics will change from show to show. I am thinking of starting this on a weekly (possibly bi-weekly) schedule, and/or possibly using SCF TV to broadcast live if SCF Live Meet and Greet events happen.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, talents - not like below (though cool), then please post them

6) Posting your Breaks for Card Cash
    If you want to earn additional Card Cash, then post your breaks with Images and/or Videos to your breaks. In order to qualify, you do need to use the [SCAN] OR [VIDEO]/[VIDEO SO] prefixes in the Box Breaks forums. Payouts are as follows

50cc for Scans
    100cc for Video

Starting TODAY, if you created a box break video with a Shoutout to SCF, use the [VIDEO SO] tag, you can earn 500cc (and I will make sure your break video is pushed out on the SCF Twitter/Facebook feeds).

7) Site Maintenance
    Over the next couple weeks, I will be working with WiredTree, SCF Web Hosting provider on doing some needed maintenance work AND adding more storage capacity for both TCC and potentially for the forums as well.

8) Shoutbox
    I have re-enabled Shoutbox. This modification does use additional server load, but in talking WiredTree, we have plenty enough capacity to handle this. If there is any issues with the site, specifically slowness, I can disable it again. I would rather not. I would like to be able to have chat nights where you all can ask me questions, etc.

9) Contest

There are a number of Contests that are getting ready to take flight with the start of the NFL season and also the upcoming World Cup of Hockey. Please check out the Football and Hockey forums for details!

Also, as a reminder - if you are actively making deals on SCF, you are eligible to win one of 4 awesome cards! Please check this out

https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...-Trade-Contest

Ends 3/3/17!

I think this is everything for now.
    If you have unwanted cards you are looking to purge, please consider a donation to my family's mission in helping to find a cure for Olivia's disorder Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Cards donated will be sold on eBay, COMC or locally in the Buffalo/Niagara area to support the Hidden Content .
    ---
    Shipping done on Saturdays for all Addresses
    ---
    Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Excellent update, thanks!

You're right about the Inventory Manager, for me at least. Glad to see how popular it is, and that there are efforts to make it more popular. With this upcoming move, all of the cards we have loaded, images, teams, etc. will be transferred over, correct? And one other thing I'm curious about... how will the Inventory-tracking-trade tool work, with two separate websites? I get that it's probably not all that popular, but it is a nifty little tool that is definitely helpful for those who have lots of cards loaded in the inventory.

We all appreciate all of your efforts with the site, despite your other circumstances. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
    Excellent update, thanks!

You're right about the Inventory Manager, for me at least. Glad to see how popular it is, and that there are efforts to make it more popular. With this upcoming move, all of the cards we have loaded, images, teams, etc. will be transferred over, correct? And one other thing I'm curious about... how will the Inventory-tracking-trade tool work, with two separate websites? I get that it's probably not all that popular, but it is a nifty little tool that is definitely helpful for those who have lots of cards loaded in the inventory.

We all appreciate all of your efforts with the site, despite your other circumstances. Thanks!

good questions

My goal is to leverage everything that we currently have an expand on it. For example, we do not collect backs for images, this is something that we really should have, especially on a product like Allen and Ginter where the backs can be different. So yes, everything that exists today will carry over.

The 2nd question is a bit more intriguing, and I need to understand this how folks are using this today. I know for myself, I have not used the Inventory Manager in the past to post deals, but I know some do. I would want to understand what the pros/cons are in using this for trading / posting trades.

What I probably will do in the next month or so is reach out to the folks that I know are using the Inventory Manager, what is good, what can be improved upon and lastly, what should be looked at for inclusion.
    If you have unwanted cards you are looking to purge, please consider a donation to my family's mission in helping to find a cure for Olivia's disorder Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Cards donated will be sold on eBay, COMC or locally in the Buffalo/Niagara area to support the Hidden Content .
    ---
    ---
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Thanks for this update, Scott! Glad to see things are heading in the right direction with SCF. Things are happening, ideas are being shared, new things are being tried & added into the mix. This is great news!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

Quote Originally Posted by scottkoz20 View Post
    good questions

My goal is to leverage everything that we currently have an expand on it. For example, we do not collect backs for images, this is something that we really should have, especially on a product like Allen and Ginter where the backs can be different. So yes, everything that exists today will carry over.

The 2nd question is a bit more intriguing, and I need to understand this how folks are using this today. I know for myself, I have not used the Inventory Manager in the past to post deals, but I know some do. I would want to understand what the pros/cons are in using this for trading / posting trades.

What I probably will do in the next month or so is reach out to the folks that I know are using the Inventory Manager, what is good, what can be improved upon and lastly, what should be looked at for inclusion.
    Thanks for the response. About the inventory-trade tool, I figure the #1 reason why people don't use it is that when they're discussing a trade, they send lists back and forth, and when someone posts the deal, it's much easier to copy and paste the lists than it is to select "TOUT" or "TIN" for ever single card involved.

Anyway, if you ever need any more feedback/suggestions on the Inventory system, feel free to ask.

Scott- To me the most exciting part is getting the trading activity increased. Unfortunately I think the increases of postage over the years (particularly from the US to other countries) is still a bit of an obstacle.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by JFried1029 View Post
    Scott- To me the most exciting part is getting the trading activity increased. Unfortunately I think the increases of postage over the years (particularly from the US to other countries) is still a bit of an obstacle.
    I fully agree with this sentiment. Our hobby is not cheap, especially when it comes to postage. However, there are ways to help reduce the costs. One of them is what I use when I ship to Canada (reminds me I need to get 2 packages out) - I use paypal.com/shipnow

Costs are reduced and I personally have not have any issues with this. I know a couple people have mentioned they have in the past.

Its not a complete solution, but it is something.
    ---
    ---
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors