Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Should a Division Champion get a Top 4 Seed Despite an Undeserving W / L Record?

Voters
6. This poll is closed
  • Yes

4 66.67%
  • No

2 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm pretty sure the NFL aligned the divisions to keep rivalries intact. I mean the Cowboys are in the NFC East yet they play in Dallas, Texas and there isn't much east about the middle of Texas.

I agree ... however, the NFL could easily have just two conferences with 16 teams each and let every team play every other team in the conference once, with one extra game against a team in the other conference which could keep certain rivalry teams in the same conference at least.

Personally, I don't mind divisions but I think the three Florida teams should be in the same division, that the two New York teams should be in the same division, etc., ... there is nothing wrong with creating new rivalries.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yes. A division champ should get a spot in the playoffs, even with a crappy overall record.

I can go along with that but not the fact that undeserving teams also get a playoff home game against a team with a better record ... that is just absurd to me.

First, let me just say I understand your reasoning, but I do NOT want Tony Romo. Thanks, but no thanks. I am willing to suffer and rebuild at the position rather than go with him. I just don't trust he can stay healthy, and I worn forgive a late game stupid play that costs us a season. Maybe someone else, and I realize not everyone agrees with my opinion, but I am not a Tony Romo fan.

I'm not a Broncos fan but I am shocked to hear any Bronco fan say they wouldn't want Romo. Why in the world would you want to "rebuild" and waste a couple years when you have the best defense in the NFL and one of the best in history? I believe Tony Romo could easily lead the current Broncos team to another SuperBowl this year ... Simien and Lynch can not do so imho.

However, also please understand that trading a pick for Romo would most likely accelerate rather than hurt the development of Paxton Lynch. I mean, seriously, who do you think Lynch would learn more from, a nobody like Simien or a future HOF'er like Romo?

But I would support him should they do as you suggest, of course...

A true fan

Now, back to the division thing.

I just feel that the divisions are set up pretty fairly, with the goal to give each team a 1 in 4 shot at hosting a playoff game and advancing in the sudden death tournament.

I also like that teams like the Dolphins have remained in their divisions, and that the NFL has tried to keep old rivals in the same divisions. Losing the Seahawks years ago wasn't so painful had it been the Raiders to me. While Seattle might consider Denver a big rival going back, we've forgotten about them as rivals long ago. (It was ALWAYS the Raiders for us.)

I do understand the "rivalry" issue ... I just think new rivalries could be created pretty quickly if divisions were more geographically based. For example I would LOVE to see a division with the Raiders, 49'ers, Rams and Chargers!

No, I would not be happy if we, at 10-6, have play AT Houston at 8-8, but if that's our path, than so be it.

I guess it doesn't bother me so much, and I am pretty happy with the league's current alignment. I just hope the Raiders don't leave the division when they leave Oakland.

I don't think the "Vegas Raiders" would leave the AFC West, so I don't think you have to worry about that

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks
    Twitter: @@DaveMitchner See squiresoldan's Items on eBay Instagram:
    Send PayPal to DaveMitchner Member is PayPal Verified

I agree ... however, the NFL could easily have just two conferences with 16 teams each and let every team play every other team in the conference once, with one extra game against a team in the other conference which could keep certain rivalry teams in the same conference at least.

Personally, I don't mind divisions but I think the three Florida teams should be in the same division, that the two New York teams should be in the same division, etc., ... there is nothing wrong with creating new rivalries.

I could run with this, with some minor relocation (because NYC doesn't need 2 teams in one stadium, so the Jets can go to Vegas and the Raiders can stay in Oakland). I kept Dallas in the Eastern most Conference because of historical rivalries with the Gmen, Eagles and Washington. Indianapolis and New England are split up, but it leads to a Colt/Bears/Lions rivalry which geographically would be awesome.

Top four records in both conference are seeded 4-1, 3-2. Then Super Bowl at a neutral site.

Conference 1
    Denver
    Kansas
    Oakland
    San Diego
    Arizona
    LA
    San Fran
    Seattle
    Las Vegas Jets
    New Orleans
    Houston
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Indianapolis

Conference 2
    Miami
    Jacksonville
    Tampa Bay
    Buffalo
    NY Football Giants
    New England Pats
    Bltimore
    Cincinnati
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Tennessee
    Dallas
    Philly
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Carolina

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I could run with this, with some minor relocation (because NYC doesn't need 2 teams in one stadium, so the Jets can go to Vegas and the Raiders can stay in Oakland). I kept Dallas in the Eastern most Conference because of historical rivalries with the Gmen, Eagles and Washington. Indianapolis and New England are split up, but it leads to a Colt/Bears/Lions rivalry which geographically would be awesome.

Top four records in both conference are seeded 4-1, 3-2. Then Super Bowl at a neutral site.

Conference 1
    Denver
    Kansas
    Oakland
    San Diego
    Arizona
    LA
    San Fran
    Seattle
    Las Vegas Jets
    New Orleans
    Houston
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Indianapolis

Conference 2
    Miami
    Jacksonville
    Tampa Bay
    Buffalo
    NY Football Giants
    New England Pats
    Bltimore
    Cincinnati
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Tennessee
    Dallas
    Philly
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Carolina

I'd have the Raiders in Vegas and swap Houston and the Jets with Cleveland and Cinny as I believe Houston and Dallas should be in the same conference and that Detroit, Cinny and Cleveland should all be in the same conference as well as there is a big-time rivalry between Michigan and Ohio :-)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

this happens in alot of sports especially Baseball. I hate when the so called experts start messing with things and totally mess the game up. all these so called experts that never played a sport except golf on the weekedns need to leave the game alone. Its bad enough that the new wave players cry like lil children because they get hit now we have nerds trying to change the game. This has happen before and will happen again. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE!!!!!!! We dont bneed 16 team divisions it is a very stupid idea

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I am closing this thread!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Okay I forgot to mark the box to CLOSE it!

Bake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12