Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

Upper Deck E-Packs. Noobie Question

Hey All,

I see alot on these EPacks from UD.

I have some questions for anyone who does this. If you don't mind indulging a noob like me.

1. Are all sets on there?
    2. Can you redeem for real cards?
    3. Can you trade online?
    4. Is it worth it?

Any opinions would be appreciated. :D

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Most of the EPack 'Vets' can probably answer a lot of these in more detail, but I'll try my best.

1) No. Only some products are on there. Some are available on ePack/Hobby boxes, and some (like UD's newest "Compendium") are ePack exclusive.

2) It depends which cards you are looking to redeem. For example, when ePack first launched with 15-16 UD Series 1, you couldn't have the base cards shipped to you, but the base parallels, inserts and jersey cards (etc, etc) you can.

3) Yes. If you have an account to use Upper Deck ePacks, you can trade with other ePack users online through: https://www.upperdeckepack.com/

4) Is it worth it? Well, that depends on your collecting habits and what you choose to collect. I, for example, am not on Upper Deck ePack. Nothing against EPack or UD trying something new. In fact, depending on the product (OPC/OPCP for example), I really like what ePack could do for products like these. I just don't have a need for it (right now) personally. I have a really limited collecting focus right now, so ePack just isn't something I'm willing to jump into at the moment. Once my collecting focus open up or I decide to collect a new goalie/set, then maybe I can look to ePack to help track down cards I need.

I can't say whether or not ePack is 'worth it' to you. I think for collectors who know what they want and like to trade can have a lot of use for ePack.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions :) Best of luck moving forward!

Happy Collecting!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 12-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

1) No, only a few.
    2) Yes, except not base.
    3) Yes.
    4) If you have a need to "break wax" any time you want, then yes.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

1. Are all sets on there?

No. Only certain sets, and they have ePack exclusives releases. Right now I think 16-17 MVP, 15-16 Ultimate, and there might be 15-16 MVP left on there are whats available for purchase. UD Series 1 & 2 are on there as well. ePack exclusive release "Compendium" just released on there. I believe this year they said more products will be available from the 16-17 product line. This includes UD1/UD2, MVP, SP Game Used, OPC Platinum, and I probably missed some.

2. Can you redeem for real cards?

Yes, and no. Your base cards are not available to be transferred as physical cards. Instead, you need to try and combine the base cards into their little ePack exclusive parallels. MVP has a Green Script you can combine your base into, UD1/UD2 have Foil parallels. However, everything else on there (Inserts, Rookies, Jerseys, Autos, etc.) can be transferred to you physically either through direct mail, or transferring them to COMC. There is a $0.25 "card fee" for each card that you mail to yourself, or transfer to COMC.

3. Can you trade online?

Yes. You can trade with any member on there. They have a chat area where you can post your wants, or what you have available in general, and then you can click on any members name to view their collection, and initiate a trade. This is one of the better features, because you can make trades for stuff you want, without the worries of packaging and shipping stuff, instead it happens instantly.

4. Is it worth it?

This is a question I think you'd have to answer yourself. If you have a local shop close by, or an easy way to buy packs/boxes, you might not think it's worth it. If you have to drive an hour to buy a box of cards, then sure this is probably worth it. In the end, whether you buy some UD Series 1 on ePack, or from your local card shop, you have the exact same odds of getting the exact same cards, with the exception of the parallels they only offer on ePack (Foil's) and the ones exclusive to hobby boxes (the newly introduced clear-cut).

Hey All,

I see alot on these EPacks from UD.

I have some questions for anyone who does this. If you don't mind indulging a noob like me.

Any opinions would be appreciated. :D

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @kin_kinsley See wvu_class_of_2001's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Compendium is a whole new beast. I was never into ePack, but now I am. For player collectors, I think it's a must. If YOU don't go collect your player, the physical card may never be produced.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@wvu_class_of_2001 You don't think others are gonna try to get up to a Gold Andrew Shaw? Hmmm LOL

You are right, though, I suspect for some of the common guys they'll be de facto 1/1's.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As with many things, it all depends on what you put into it -- either in money or time. It is actually POSSIBLE to get something for nothing there, if you are willing to put in the time. You can get one free daily pack there (1 or 3 cards depending on the set). If you collect enough of those and make trades, you can gather up enough to redeem for the parallel cards that you can get delivered. So you can send them to COMC and they charge you a quarter to deliver each one (so I guess they aren't exactly free). If you would rather not spend the time and buy them on COMC for 50 or 75 cents, that's up to you.

The real "value" I see on the site is access to certain cards you wont find on WSH boards or EBay. For instance, I collect UD Exclusives of the Caps and Sharks, and I like to get the player's uniform number if I can find it. Since a set number of each print run goes to e-pack, some of those cards I am looking for have been found on e-pack. If I wasn't on there, they would have been snatched up by other collectors, and I would never have seen them.

Another good piece is being able to search for certain cards and being able to find out who has them. So for low-print-run cards, you can actually see who owns them and then maybe contact that person to see what he is interested in to find out what he wants in a trade for it. This came in very handy with one guy last season for UD2. I saw a guy had Karl Azlner's #27/100 Exclusives. I sent him a couple offers, but he turned them down. So I contacted him, and he said he didn't want to give it up because he was collecting jersey-numbered Exclusives. But he wasn't very team specific. So what I did was I made some other trades and acquired a couple other jersey-numbered Exclusives, and we ended up with a deal we were both happy with. That would never have been possible if it wasn't for e-pack.

Being able to search for specific cards is a tremendous time saver, so you don't have to look through countless buckets/lists or wait for it to hit EBay (and then try to outbid everyone else). I have even spotted a Tomas Hertl card on epack I haven't yet seen on EBay or anywhere else (#/15). Unfortunately, the owner is another Sharks fan, and I haven't been able to pry it away from him yet. But I am still hoping...

@wvu_class_of_2001 You don't think others are gonna try to get up to a Gold Andrew Shaw? Hmmm LOL

You are right, though, I suspect for some of the common guys they'll be de facto 1/1's.

Yeah, you need 250 copies for a Gold and 310 if you want one each of Gold, Red, and Blue. I need to get those for my wife's Brooks Laich collection. It would be cheaper to wait until they hit COMC and get them for pennies, but you run the risk of many never making it to COMC. For the commons, people are not going to go through the trouble of getting those accumulated. Sure some of the massive buyers will, but they are probably after the redemptions, so they will be turning in their Gold commons to get the redemptions.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @kin_kinsley See wvu_class_of_2001's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This is why I'm going for the golds of the guys I want...and the reds are more likely to hit COMC and the blues were hitting last night.
    As with many things, it all depends on what you put into it -- either in money or time. It is actually POSSIBLE to get something for nothing there, if you are willing to put in the time. You can get one free daily pack there (1 or 3 cards depending on the set). If you collect enough of those and make trades, you can gather up enough to redeem for the parallel cards that you can get delivered. So you can send them to COMC and they charge you a quarter to deliver each one (so I guess they aren't exactly free). If you would rather not spend the time and buy them on COMC for 50 or 75 cents, that's up to you.

The real "value" I see on the site is access to certain cards you wont find on WSH boards or EBay. For instance, I collect UD Exclusives of the Caps and Sharks, and I like to get the player's uniform number if I can find it. Since a set number of each print run goes to e-pack, some of those cards I am looking for have been found on e-pack. If I wasn't on there, they would have been snatched up by other collectors, and I would never have seen them.

Another good piece is being able to search for certain cards and being able to find out who has them. So for low-print-run cards, you can actually see who owns them and then maybe contact that person to see what he is interested in to find out what he wants in a trade for it. This came in very handy with one guy last season for UD2. I saw a guy had Karl Azlner's #27/100 Exclusives. I sent him a couple offers, but he turned them down. So I contacted him, and he said he didn't want to give it up because he was collecting jersey-numbered Exclusives. But he wasn't very team specific. So what I did was I made some other trades and acquired a couple other jersey-numbered Exclusives, and we ended up with a deal we were both happy with. That would never have been possible if it wasn't for e-pack.

Being able to search for specific cards is a tremendous time saver, so you don't have to look through countless buckets/lists or wait for it to hit EBay (and then try to outbid everyone else). I have even spotted a Tomas Hertl card on epack I haven't yet seen on EBay or anywhere else (#/15). Unfortunately, the owner is another Sharks fan, and I haven't been able to pry it away from him yet. But I am still hoping...

Yeah, you need 250 copies for a Gold and 310 if you want one each of Gold, Red, and Blue. I need to get those for my wife's Brooks Laich collection. It would be cheaper to wait until they hit COMC and get them for pennies, but you run the risk of many never making it to COMC. For the commons, people are not going to go through the trouble of getting those accumulated. Sure some of the massive buyers will, but they are probably after the redemptions, so they will be turning in their Gold commons to get the redemptions.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

On the "Con" side of the argument, UD's prices are ridiculous in most cases and mostly not worth it. They started last year with UD1 at $90 to get people hooked. Because of McDavid, that was a good deal and it got people into it. When they came out with Series 2 at the same price, we all figured out the truth. Series 2 hasn't sold as well, so it will be interesting to see what they do this year. There are a few people on there that buy truck loads of every release, so the cards are available for anyone looking for them. However, those with the cards set the values, and it is sometimes impossible to pry away certain cards from someone. You need good cards to trade for good cards, and so you have to over-pay in most cases to get that trade bait. It always seems that certain cards become the "hot" card that everyone wants, and those become prime commodities and attain value far in excess of what they are worth on EBay or elsewhere. When MVP came out, a couple guys started accumulating Super Scripts, and they shot through the roof and people were demanding trade values 2-3 times what they would sell for on EBay (if they ever made it to EBay). Luckily, I got my Hertl right after release, so I didn't have to overpay.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree with most all you said. However, I feel that this is a different line (as there's not also the same physical release) and they've treated upgrading differently, and better.
    On the "Con" side of the argument, UD's prices are ridiculous in most cases and mostly not worth it. They started last year with UD1 at $90 to get people hooked. Because of McDavid, that was a good deal and it got people into it. When they came out with Series 2 at the same price, we all figured out the truth. Series 2 hasn't sold as well, so it will be interesting to see what they do this year. There are a few people on there that buy truck loads of every release, so the cards are available for anyone looking for them. However, those with the cards set the values, and it is sometimes impossible to pry away certain cards from someone. You need good cards to trade for good cards, and so you have to over-pay in most cases to get that trade bait. It always seems that certain cards become the "hot" card that everyone wants, and those become prime commodities and attain value far in excess of what they are worth on EBay or elsewhere. When MVP came out, a couple guys started accumulating Super Scripts, and they shot through the roof and people were demanding trade values 2-3 times what they would sell for on EBay (if they ever made it to EBay). Luckily, I got my Hertl right after release, so I didn't have to overpay.