Carding Grading/Encapsulation Question & Conversation

Okay, so I'm still fairly new to the site (apologize if this is posted in the incorrect spot). I've been collecting for a little over 30 years, anything from opening packs, buying boxes, singles, doing sets etc etc (I even survived the dismal 90s in the hobby :smoking:) One thing I've never really dabbled in much is getting cards graded/authenticated or encapsulated but recently its kind of casually sparked my interest. I pretty much know the bigger players in the game (PSA, BGS etc) but has anyone ever used BCCG (also done by Beckett, but the lesser tier one)? I have a few cards I'd love to get an idea on grade for but its more for my own interest and PC. I can't justify spending the money on either PSA or BGS for lesser valued cards like this. I guess I'm just looking for others to give input and share their own experiences with grading. I know the grading scales are different between the tiers and a GEM MINT 10 for BCCG doesn't mean the card is BGS GEM MINT 10, but I can't really justify sending 10-20 cards with values between $8-$20 getting graded for $11-$25 a pop.
    Anyhow, any input is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    BJ

There are 2 reasons to get your card graded

1) - Because you like the way it looks and it permanently protects your cards ( I believe you can get your cards in the same case, not graded by BGS, but "Authenticated" at a cheaper cost )

2) - Because you are looking to increase the value of your card

I do mine for point #2. Getting a BGS 9.5 drastically increases the value of your cards. If you are grading for point 2, it is 99% of the time only beneficial to grade rookie cards. It also only helps your cards value when you hit a 9.5 of higher ( with modern day rookies ) though some sets are the exception. I am not too into vintage, but would never touch a vintage card unless it was BGS / PSA graded
    *** Main PCs - Luongo / Mrazek / Fleury***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hi guys! I have never graded a card. How long does it usually take? Can I get info on getting it graded? I want to do my Matthews YG card but don't know where to start.

I thought COMC has something like that offered.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Dergula View Post
    Hi guys! I have never graded a card. How long does it usually take? Can I get info on getting it graded? I want to do my Matthews YG card but don't know where to start.

I thought COMC has something like that offered.

Sorry
    A month in Canada by the time you get it back. Send it through your LCS or a Group submission (Hockey Forums or FB groups), or it's way too expensive for 1 card. They charge $60 return shipping plus the insurance value, uniess you are planning 8+ cards (Shipping to Canada)

and if you send 10 cards and more. i am from europe. i will cost lot???

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousrob101 View Post
    A month in Canada by the time you get it back. Send it through your LCS or a Group submission (Hockey Forums or FB groups), or it's way too expensive for 1 card. They charge $60 return shipping plus the insurance value, uniess you are planning 8+ cards (Shipping to Canada)

Don't use BCCG. It's a different grading scale where most cards get high grades, regardless of condition. It's not a respected grading method. People try and scam uneducated people on eBay with it, because a 10 is so easy to get. The container also looks uglier and cheaper.
    Last edited by Taxi; 12-18-2016 at 11:11 PM.