Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Hello fellow sports card collectors and hobbyists.....

My name is Scott. I am from the Chattanooga, TN area. Like many other diehard Chicago Cubs (I'm not talking about other supposed "bandwagon fans", who thought it was cool to jump on the Cubs wagon come playoff time in 2016) fans who have followed the Cubs through a multitude of ineptitude, really bad, sometimes mediocre and occasionally good seasons through 2014 (2015 and 2016 have been a blessing for me, Cubs wise), I felt a great sense of relief when the Cubs won it all in 2016. Yes, I cried for a long time after the Cubs won it after 10 innings vs. an incredible Cleveland Indians squad in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series.

I tip my hat off to similarly diehard Cleveland Indians fans who have lived through the heartbreak of seeing the Indians of not winning a World Series title since 1948. I attended my first MLB game at the age of 9 at Wrigley Field in July 1976. I watched the Chicago Cubs win vs. the then-Montreal Expos. Chicago was going through another bad season, and so were the Expos. Being 9, I could care less about where the Cubs were in the then NL East standings (they have been in the NL Central since the realignment). I just loved my Cubs and fell in love with the team that day, and have followed them very closely for 40 years. I am fortunate to experience the Cubs win the 2016 World Series and stayed up to the end of every NLCS, NLDS, and WS game they played.

Seeing the Cubs win the WS refueled the passion I had growing up, when I collected baseball cards. Like many young kids, I wasn't thinking about keeping the cards in good shape or anything else. I remember the one year (not sure when) when Topps came out with a baseball card set. My brother and I would play baseball games with the backs of the cards to see who would win each baseball game. We might hit home runs, strike out, or any multiple of things. Was pretty cool to say the least.

About a month ago, I began collecting Chicago Cubs players from the 2015 and 2016 teams. Also, began collecting minor league team sets from 2014 forward in the Cubs minor league system. Figured this was a great way to get myself reacquainted again with sports cards. I do this for a hobby, because I don't envision myself getting rich of the cards. I do it for fun and to bring back great memories from the past couple of years. Given that, I grew up watching Dave Kingman smash home runs (although he struck out a lot).

From collecting RCs of Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Addison Russell, Willson Contreras, and more to Cubs minor league team sets, I am really excited about the future of MLB and the golden era of infielders that play the game now that are on other teams (Manny Machado, Nolan Arenado, and so many others I could name) that I am looking to collect their RCs (one of each player). Again, I am not ever going to become rich off of the cards. However, I would like to leave something to my grandchildren or maybe my church can sell off my collection one day hopefully far into the future - so the church can benefit and so can someone who would appreciate the cards.

Again, thanks, and I wanted to introduce myself. Scott/chattaareacubs

2. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
    Welcome! I'm somewhat of a fellow newbie myself, and while I predominantly collect and follow Hockey, ( hey, I'm Canadian after all!), I've also been a fan of the Cubbies since about 1983! Back in the day, we only had 2 TV channels on the regular dial, but for some reason, we also got TBS from Atlanta (man, the Braves were BAD back then!) And WGN. Hearing Harry Carey call Cubs games, back before Buckner booted the ball that gave the Mets the WS in '86, the Cubs had talent!! Buckner, Cey, Moreland, Jodie Davis, Sandberg, Andre Dawson, to name a few. Anyway, also one happy Cubs fan! Again, welcome!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!

Scott- Welcome to SCF!
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

Welcome to SCF and a diehard Cubbie!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and Saquon Barkley!
    Non-Sports: Star Wars, Silver Surfer, Thor
    Baseball: Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Harmon Killebrew, Graig Nettles, Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres and Derek Jeter!

Hidden Content

Welcome to SCF Scott, have fun here and enjoy yourself!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | T.J. Oshie Patch Archive

Hidden Content

Welcome to SCF !
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price