Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Graded Cards

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Twitter: @That Bowling Dude See Falco_shane's Items on eBay

Graded Cards

Hi everybody,

I've got some questions to what everyone looks at to decide if a card is worth grading or not. My last experience on one of the big group submissions on here was a mixed bag. I got some decent card grades from the vintage cards I submitted (4-6.5 for cards from 1969-1972), but as far as my personal collection I feel as though I missed obvious flaws and the grades were 7's (which is ok, but not what I wanted).

Guess I'm looking for suggestions on what to look for on Vintage cards besides the obvious (corners, centering, etc) and how to determine if more modern cards that look good initially, but obviously don't grade that well.

Someone i remember saying used a jewlers magnifying glass to really look at them close. Does this work and if so, where do you recommend getting one?

Thanks for any help as I feel like that's going to be the next step in my collecting journey. My wife has asked me what the kids are supposed to do with it after we're gone, which got me to thinking more in lines of family heirlooms as opposed to just cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Someone i remember saying used a jewlers magnifying glass to really look at them close. Does this work and if so, where do you recommend getting one?

Yeah it is great for checking out any flaws on a card. But I'd only recommend it if you are going to be grading a lot of stuff. I mean buying one for a couple of cards really wouldn't be worth it but if you need to check out 100 or so cards it basically becomes a must buy.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Twitter: @That Bowling Dude See Falco_shane's Items on eBay

Yeah it is great for checking out any flaws on a card. But I'd only recommend it if you are going to be grading a lot of stuff. I mean buying one for a couple of cards really wouldn't be worth it but if you need to check out 100 or so cards it basically becomes a must buy.

But see that is what part my questions. I realize you'll need to get a lot of cards graded, but even if I only do 10-20 a year for the next few years then i can understand the investment.

A quick look on amazon with a search of jewler's loop brings up a lot of choices most of which are under $20.

Are there things you can look for with the naked eye that are concerns or other things you should look for?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I noticed on these cards I submitted after they were graded that there are like 1 inch indent like a finger nail was pressed into the card both are on the back and I had no idea the Anderson was right out of the pack now I know what to look for they are still nice cards for my PC
    IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    Last edited by seegs; 01-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

But see that is what part my questions. I realize you'll need to get a lot of cards graded, but even if I only do 10-20 a year for the next few years then i can understand the investment.

A quick look on amazon with a search of jewler's loop brings up a lot of choices most of which are under $20.

Are there things you can look for with the naked eye that are concerns or other things you should look for?

Yeah if you grade that many over the years it would definitely be worth it. Usually just look for something that is a major flaw that will bring the grade down a couple of points that the naked eye will normally miss because in reality there isn't much difference between a 10, 9.5, and 9 on modern cards. For vintage you are primarily looking for flaws in the cardboard stock along with centering (though centering you can usually use the eyeball test for).

SCF Rewards
    Country

Most of the time when modern cards are graded the #1 place people fail to look close enough at is the back edges of the card.. From the front most of the time the edges appear to look very good. Its at this point people assume its going to be grade well... Flip that card over and get a magnification mirror and with the card resting flat face down take a real good look at the back edges. Cards are USUALLY packaged face up in the pack the the packs are placed face up in the box.. Check those back edges!!