Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Giannis Antetokounmpo: How High Can He Go?

I think there is no question that Giannis is extremely skilled and very few players in the game today can match his skill set, but the question is how good is he and how will this reflect the hobby? I was lucky enough to trade for a Giannis Panini Signatures Rookie Auto/199 a couple of years ago when it was a $20 card and now his values have skyrocketed to insane amounts with one recently ending at almost $200. Are these price hikes just due to hype or is he someone to watch? The Bucks are currently in 9th right now in the Eastern Conference and this makes it even scarier see to what Giannis's cards could be at if the Bucks actually had a decent team.

The last player I remember whose cards took this kind of spike was Steph Curry and we all know what a place he holds on the hobby right now. Ironic thing about that is at that time I also had a Curry NT auto that I sold to a buddy for $60. It wasn't a rookie auto obviously, but it now sells somewhere in the $300 range. I have no intentions whatsoever in trading or selling my card since I enjoy his game and I rarely move my cards, but I just want your opinions on what his potential on the hobby and the NBA might be. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

Unfortunately, his value is somewhat capped being in a small market like Milwaukee, coupled with the fact that his name is hard to pronounce and doesn't fit all that well on a jersey. He's pretty much caught up to his hype coming out of the draft on a performance level, so I don't think his card ceiling is incredibly high. Besides, everyone is always looking for the next best thing. The Bowman product line is a testament to that.

An ideal situation for him from a hobby standpoint would be playing for a winner in a big market, and being the go-to attraction on that winning team, but I think that's fairly obvious. I would still rather be a buyer than a seller at this point. But if you're looking to get rich off him that window is all but slammed shut. I do question his marketability. Steph has the 3-ball, LeBron has lived up to the most hype and scrutiny ever put on any athlete which will forever make him a winner, and in years past players like Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant had the slam dunk that endeared fans/collectors. Not sure what Giannis' calling card would be, but perhaps we will find out.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

He's been hyped for about the last year or so. I didn't buy into it then, but I did like him better than Wiggins. Still, I was skeptical overall. He has proved me wrong. Very talented guy.

Nonetheless, hard to tell how his career will go. What kind of team will he continue to have? Coach? Health? If you enjoy collecting him, as you say you do, then keep up with it. Just remember that we never know what future variables may affect him for better or worse.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Wiggins is an interesting comparison, but I think the problem with Wiggins is that he plays on the T'Wolves who are one of the worst teams in NBA history. Giannis's skill set seems to be much larger than his as well and better in every facet of the game. Better scorer, passer, rebounder etc etc. Maybe if Wiggins was the main guy in Minnesota and there was no KAT and Rubio, then perhaps would could see how good Wiggins could be. Giannis pretty much seems to have a free handle to do anything he wants in Milwaukee and so far he is excelling.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cardscardzcard5's Items on eBay

The Giannis case is unique. Every year we hear in all sports about a raw player that if he gets it right could be special but for the first time in my life time (i'm in my early 20s) we're seeing a player with this narrative actually play out. His jump shot is improving and that raw athleticism combined with an improved basketball skillset has allowed him to become a force. BUT, he's only 22 and I think he'll get better.

The point about him being in Milwaukee is valid but if they become a legit contender his stock could improve even more so. Maybe those passionate packers fans will want a basketball team to get excited about.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

Every year we hear in all sports about a raw player that if he gets it right could be special but for the first time in my life time (i'm in my early 20s) we're seeing a player with this narrative actually play out.

True.

More recent comparisons to that have been Bismack Biyombo, and to a lesser extent Joel Embiid. All of those guys picked up a basketball late in their youth with supposed untapped potential because of their learning curve. A little further back comparison is, don't laugh, Darko Milicic. During his pre-draft workouts some old timer scout compared his athleticism to that of Wilt Chamberlain and said that he was going to be a HOFer! It depends largely on how bad these guys want it. For what it's worth, Jason Kidd said that Giannis wants to be great as much as anyone he has ever been around.

Now if they could just figure out that PG position. Not sure if Brogdon is the long term answer. With guys like Giannis and Jabari though, they are headed in the right direction.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You would think being on the Bucks would severely stunt his card prices. I mean the Bucks are never going to be a contender plus I think they might be in the smallest market in the US. So if you add those things together you just have to wonder what his prices would be like if he was on the Lakers or Knicks.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

True.

More recent comparisons to that have been Bismack Biyombo, and to a lesser extent Joel Embiid. All of those guys picked up a basketball late in their youth with supposed untapped potential because of their learning curve. A little further back comparison is, don't laugh, Darko Milicic. During his pre-draft workouts some old timer scout compared his athleticism to that of Wilt Chamberlain and said that he was going to be a HOFer! It depends largely on how bad these guys want it. For what it's worth, Jason Kidd said that Giannis wants to be great as much as anyone he has ever been around.

Now if they could just figure out that PG position. Not sure if Brogdon is the long term answer. With guys like Giannis and Jabari though, they are headed in the right direction.

LOL. Darko indeed WAS very athletic, but problem was that he had about as much drive as an old Yugo car. I remember reading his interview as a rookie for ESPN the Magazine, and he said he was excited to be in the NBA because he could have whatever girl he wanted. Well, Wilt had that mentality too but Wilt was also devoted to dominating and excelling at the game of basketball at the same time. That's what Darko lacked. He was so awestruck at the glamor of it all that he forgot everything else, like work ethic.