Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well it a gamble but two teams paid too much for what he has amounted to.

DON

Yeah... but I think the Islanders can be excused (more) for the gamble. Some prospects just don't work out... you hope that doesn't happen with a top 5 pick (it happened with 3 of the top 5 in 2012, Reinhart's year.. which is kind weird). Isles might have reached on him a little bit (a quick look shows me he was the 7th ranked prospect) but in a year when the consensus top-2 picks (Yakupov, Murray) have also turned out to be busts - while you can't totally excuse the Isles for a bad pick, I don't think the mistake should be looked at as being a brutal one.

For the Oilers though - they traded for him 3 years after he'd been drafted, playing only 8 uninspiring NHL games to that point. If they had given up a 2nd round pick for him... I'd say it was worth the gamble. If they gave up a package similar to what they got for Yakupov (a prospect who has only been able to get a cup of coffee in the AHL, and a conditional pick.... a 3rd Rounder, and it becomes a 2nd Rounder if Yak scores 15 goals this year) then I'd say well worth the gamble.

But they traded the 16th Overall pick, and for a player that shouldn't have been able to net a 1st rounder in return. Most people thought it was an overpay at the time... and Reinhart certianly hasn't done anything to make that assessment look wrong.

Maybe he still pans out though, maybe he gets claimed by Vegas?

Should also mention.... there were rumors that the Oilers were trying to deal those picks to Boston for Dougie Hamilton, but the Bruins would deal with Chiarelli - so they sent him to Calgary instead. No idea how true that is.... but what's a better package: 16th & 33rd, or 15th, 45th, and 52nd. I would argue they're pretty close in value. 15th vs 16th is little difference.... 33rd is WAY better than 45th, but there's a 3rd pick to offset that.

Certainly there's a good argument to say Calgary moved the better package of picks.... but I think the value should be considered really, really, close.

Calgary traded 15, 45, 52 - And they got an established NHL dman, with 3 full years in the league... considered to be a rising star... and only 21 years old. Edmonton traded 16 & 33 - and they got a fallen prospect who was already being looked at as a bust.

yea that pick turned out to be Mat Barzal didnt it lol bad trade

Yup. Barzal hasn't turned into an NHLer yet either... but right now I'd certainly take him over Reinhart, as I think the expectations that he'll become a good NHL player are much more realistic.
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 03-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Just a quick reminder that Ryan Nugent Hopkins is earning (lol) 6 million this year for:
    15 goals an 19 assists in 72 games

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12