Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @greentreesc See greentreesportscards's Items on eBay

Question about regrading

Hey guys. I wanted to pick your brains here. I got this graded last summer and was very please with the results. The recent spike in Sid YG's had me take a closer look at mine. Very rarely do you come across a 9.5 with 2 sub 10s.

http://imgur.com/a/Vvtsz

Centering: 9.5
    Edges: 9
    Corners: 10
    Surface: 10

I have no idea how the score the centering on a card like this to not give it a 10. The only bad edge spot is on the back, bottom. It is not wear on the card, but some leftover paper from the cut.

By no means am I being greedy here, I am more than pleased with the result. Mostly curious on what you guys think. Has anyone tried getting cards regraded through Beckett? Say I send in this 9.5, is there a chance it would come back lower or will the current score(s) be a baseline for the regrade? This is all pretty new for me from a PC standpoint so I look forward to the conversation. Thank you!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's not really all that uncommon. I don't have many graded cards in my collection but I've got a 9.5 card (not the same card) that has the same subs as yours.

Here's the thing about that edge problem: no matter what you get on the centring if you re-submit, that edge issue means that the needle isn't going to move any higher. If you have 3 10's, and that edge remains a 9...you're only going to get a 9.5 overall grade.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins

It's not really all that uncommon. I don't have many graded cards in my collection but I've got a 9.5 card (not the same card) that has the same subs as yours.

Here's the thing about that edge problem: no matter what you get on the centring if you re-submit, that edge issue means that the needle isn't going to move any higher. If you have 3 10's, and that edge remains a 9...you're only going to get a 9.5 overall grade.

I figured that much. I wasn't sure how they would determine that if it had 3 10s and 1 9. So they wouldn't round the 9.75 average up to 10?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

I regrade all the time. Your card isn't close to a 10. To get a ten you can't have a 9. They very rarely and I mean rarely bump anything on corners and edges. Centering and surface is where it is more a personal opinion. I have 3 Crosby YG 9.5 and all 3 have the same subs of 9.5/9.5/10/10 and I can't get any of them bumped because the 10s are on the centering and surface! Like you said, that doesn't mean that I stopped trying. ;)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins

I regrade all the time. Your card isn't close to a 10. To get a ten you can't have a 9. They very rarely and I mean rarely bump anything on corners and edges. Centering and surface is where it is more a personal opinion. I have 3 Crosby YG 9.5 and all 3 have the same subs of 9.5/9.5/10/10 and I can't get any of them bumped because the 10s are on the centering and surface! Like you said, that doesn't mean that I stopped trying. ;)

Ha damn man. Yeah I figured this is pretty damn good regardless. Just wonderin if anyone has had any luck getting a bump up

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I figured that much. I wasn't sure how they would determine that if it had 3 10s and 1 9. So they wouldn't round the 9.75 average up to 10?

Nope. They round down.

Here's their terminology (my emphasis added in text) from the FAQ: https://www.beckett.com/grading/faq

The overall numerical grade is not a simple average of the four report card grades. Beckett Grading Services uses an algorithm which determines the final grade using the 4 sub grades on the front label of the card holder. The lowest overall grade is the first category to observe because it is the most obvious defect, and the lowest grade is the most heavily weighted in determining the overall grade.
    Example :

Centering = 9.5
    Corners = 9.5
    Edges = 9
    Surface = 8
    Final grade = 8.5

The reason that this card received an 8.5 is that even though the Surface grade was an 8 (the lowest grade overall), the 9.5 grades on Centering and Corners were strong enough to bring it up a full point to reach the 8.5 level.

Another example :

Centering = 9.5
    Corners = 9.5
    Edges = 8.5
    Surface = 9
    Final grade = 9

Upon first glance, it may appear that this card should've received a grade different than a 9. The most this card could receive was .5 (or one-half grade) above the lowest sub-grade. The Edges were the lowest in this case, hence, the card received the overall 9 grade. Even though Centering and Corners received grades of 9.5, a key point to remember is that the minimum requirement to receive a grade of Gem Mint is to have at least three grades of 9.5 and the fourth to be no less than a 9.

Also, please note that the final grade rarely, if ever, exceeds two levels above the lowest of the four characteristic grades. For example, if a card has characteristic grades of Centering 10, Corners 6, Edges 10 and Surface 10, the final grade will be a "7" (of which is exactly two grading levels above the lowest characteristic grade).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Nope. They round down.

Here's their terminology (my emphasis added in text) from the FAQ: https://www.beckett.com/grading/faq

The overall numerical grade is not a simple average of the four report card grades. Beckett Grading Services uses an algorithm which determines the final grade using the 4 sub grades on the front label of the card holder. The lowest overall grade is the first category to observe because it is the most obvious defect, and the lowest grade is the most heavily weighted in determining the overall grade.
    Example :

Centering = 9.5
    Corners = 9.5
    Edges = 9
    Surface = 8
    Final grade = 8.5

The reason that this card received an 8.5 is that even though the Surface grade was an 8 (the lowest grade overall), the 9.5 grades on Centering and Corners were strong enough to bring it up a full point to reach the 8.5 level.

Another example :

Centering = 9.5
    Corners = 9.5
    Edges = 8.5
    Surface = 9
    Final grade = 9

Upon first glance, it may appear that this card should've received a grade different than a 9. The most this card could receive was .5 (or one-half grade) above the lowest sub-grade. The Edges were the lowest in this case, hence, the card received the overall 9 grade. Even though Centering and Corners received grades of 9.5, a key point to remember is that the minimum requirement to receive a grade of Gem Mint is to have at least three grades of 9.5 and the fourth to be no less than a 9.

Also, please note that the final grade rarely, if ever, exceeds two levels above the lowest of the four characteristic grades. For example, if a card has characteristic grades of Centering 10, Corners 6, Edges 10 and Surface 10, the final grade will be a "7" (of which is exactly two grading levels above the lowest characteristic grade).

Wow very insightful. Thank you for the info

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins Colorado Avalanche Philadelphia Eagles
    See Soderbergx34's Items on eBay

Yeah unfortunately like posted above it can only go .5 above its lowest grade. If it was like surface I'd say you try and clean it up a little to have a chance but with Edges it pretty much impossible to bump. Still though like you said 9.5 isn't a bad grade

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

When you look at how much the Crosby YG is going for these days, I can't say I blame you for asking. Any chance of an extra boost on that card means probably an extra hundred bucks.