SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47

Assigning Teams to Cards: Advice

Fellow pucknuts! Just thought I'd throw this out there for everyone's consideration. When adding a team name to a card, or cards, please, STOP looking at the player jersey, and actually study the card! Look for team names, or logos, besides the jersey the player is wearing. Players sign with new teams, or are traded, every year, but the card companies will use a stock image if they don't have an image of the player in their new uniform. I'm currently adding Alex Kovalev to my Sens PC, and his 2009-10 Black Diamond card shows him in a Montreal jersey, but the card is clearly marked with a Senators logo on the back, and says Senators beneath his skates. I've also had to remove several Zdeno Chara cards from my wants, because even though he's shown as a Senator, again, the cards were clearly labeled as Boston Bruins cards.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Just a minor peeve of mine, and I thought I'd offer some insight into this. I know not everyone will agree with my opinion, and that's totally cool, but I'm not trying to start some back and forth war of words here, so please don't be offended or upset. Responses are welcome!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's nothing wrong with your position on this as it truly is a matter of individual preference. I know another Senator collector here in Ottawa that does the complete opposite as he goes after any cards that actually show the player in a Senators Jersey.
    Traders:Hidden Content

Want List: Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), Gretzky, vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait such as McDavid.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's nothing wrong with your position on this as it truly is a matter of individual preference. I know another Senator collector here in Ottawa that does the complete opposite as he goes after any cards that actually show the player in a Senators Jersey.

Yes @piper1 I've seen Collectors with that rule as well. I think I'm pointing this out because, as a team collector, my thinking is two sided. First, how many cards am I chasing that are mislabeled as Sens cards? Secondly, how many am I missing out on because they were given the wrong team designation, as the Black Diamond Kovalev was?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See G0SHARKSG0's Items on eBay

Actually the rule of the inventory system here is to label by logo and not by jersey. If ever you see these cards just report them as errors, explain the situation and they will be taken care of
    Trading for San Jose Sharks and Joe Thornton
    Traders: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Thanks for the insight. Always cool to see/hear others collectors opinions on stuff like this !

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

This bugs me as well, although not to that degree.

I don't give card companies any slack for that...it's just plain lazy on their part. To their credit, I have seen a couple players that were labeled as and are shown in one uniform during early releases, but get traded and are shown in, and labeled accordingly with their new team in later releases. Two examples are David Rundblad and Damian Brunnstrom.

Rundblad has a rookie card in which he is pictured, and labeled as an Ottawa Senator:
    2011-12 SP Game Used #104 David Rundblad RC

and one in which he is pictured, and labeled as a Phoenix Coyote:
    2011-12 The Cup #92 David Rundblad RC

If they can switch uniforms and label cards correctly for those two, why not follow suit with other traded players?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am actually quite the opposite, and really wish people would label their cards based on the Uni they're wearing. I refuse to have any cards in my Blues binders of guys wearing other teams' jerseys, so when I accidently trade for one it just goes back into my traders stack.
    Hidden Content
    Wanted: Blues #'d, AU, GU. Especially Federko, CuJo, Hull, MacInnis, Demitra, Tarasenko

My Traders on Flickr - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am actually quite the opposite, and really wish people would label their cards based on the Uni they're wearing. I refuse to have any cards in my Blues binders of guys wearing other teams' jerseys, so when I accidently trade for one it just goes back into my traders stack.

I totally understand this point of view as well. Doesn't work for me however, because I'm collecting Ottawa Senator cards, not Zdeno Chara as a Boston Bruins because he's in a Sense jersey card. To my thinking, a guy in my team's jersey when the card is marked as a different team, isn't a card I need, ya know? My there thing is, like I said earlier, what cards am I missing out on because they were mislabeled, and how many non Sens cards am I marking as needs for the same reason?
    It also leads to opinions on cards that show the player in a team jersey, with the same team logo on the card, but then stamped across the front is " traded to...." Is it a former team car, or a current team card? Prime example of this is my 92-93 OPC Pat Jablonski card. It shows Jablonski in his St. Louis Blues jersey, with a " Now with Senators" stamped on the front. The problem is, even with the stamp, and the Senators logo on the back, he was never a Senator! It's actually an uncorrected Friday card, because he'd actually been traded to Toronto!